FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

SELF-CARE in challenging times and ANY TIME.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello my beautiful BB FAMILY..

SELF - CARE ugh! I'm going to be all out 100% honest about this term for me, I see it as a 4 letter word x 2 so much worse!

I fight with this ALL THE TIME. But then .... just sometimes... I DO SOMETHING... then feel a little better that I did lol.

I TRUST the body of knowledge that our MH care professionals tell us ALL THE TIME about self-care, I do, but I really super struggle with it.

If you have ANY tips and tricks for the self-care battle please share them.

I want to swim in the ocean of self-care with all the other self-carers showering care upon themselves and LOVING it.

How do you do this?
WHAT do you do?

In earnest anticipation of us creating our own BB self-care ocean here....

Love EM

13 Replies 13

Maccas100
Community Member

Hi Ecomama, thanks for being so honest! Sometimes when I think of 'self-care' I want to stamp my feet like a two year old and scream "I DON'T WANT TO!!" even though I know deep down it 'will be good for me'. Often at the bottom of this feeling is the even more profound feeling of 'I don't deserve to be cared for'. I am not sure if that is what is happening for you - but it's hard to care for ourselves when we're in this space. I have reframed (for myself) a different way of looking at it and ask myself "What will give me the best chance of success?" - of getting through the day, of having a good night's sleep, of feeling physically stronger, of calming my mind, whatever. The end result is usually something that results in 'self care' but it sounds less like a 'should' and more like a 'could'.

I'm hoping that you can find some words that work for you.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Maccas100

That's me stamping my feet like a 2yo lol.

That's a really good point about feeling 'deserving'... makes sense recently with the "shame sh**storm" I've been sorting through.

I often use the "could" rather than "should".... if you say it fast "I'm shoulding on myself" then it is what it sounds like lol.

I also like your phrase "What gives me the best chance of success?" this is behind-the-toilet-door-noteworthy! It's where the BEST tips go.

Thankyou for your amazing points, they're super helpful!

EM

Jasjit
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

The self-care that has worked for me in the hard times and ALL the time is an active lifestyle. I consume a whole-foods plant-based diet, exercise in the gym every day, and meditate and yoga daily. I have felt that basically diet and exercise are not enough - though biologically is enough but to self-care my mind and cognitive state, I perform yoga where I can connect my mind and the body. This kind of lifestyle has really helped me to self-explore myself and I feel so bliss being with myself - I literarily don't feel the need for the other person's presence to make me feel good. I am blissful within myself!!!

Just wanted to share my self-care strategies. Thanks.

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi ecomama,

So much to contemplate here and thanks for sparking a discussion.

From your loathing of the term self care, I would be thinking you tend to bundle that in with the likes of fad diets, and get rich quick schemes - nice if it works, but...

I'd start with the question: How would I define my SELF? ...

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Oh Jasjit.... I WANNA BE YOU! lol...

The lifestyle you described DOES sound blissful. How beautiful.

Would you mind sharing the TYPES of yoga you do to connect your mind with your body?

The meditations I've been doing take my mind into the quantum field which I absolutely love.
I "space out" lol.

Love your post! Thank you!

Love EM

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Lololol I saw your name tranzcrybe and thought woah here we go.... it's gonna be a challenge!

Love your mind tranzcrybe.

Don't really think I put self-care in the bucket of fad diets and get rich quick schemes, but I would LOVE for you to explain that to us!

Indeed dear tranzcrybe! How would YOU describe your SELF? I'm busting to know!

I describe my self differently according to the "audience" lol... basically I'm a bunch of atoms.
To my children I would describe my SELF as their mother and taxi driver amongst other titles.

Then there's lots in between.

I'm happy you posted and I'm really looking forward to your next post... I await it in joyous anticipation!

Love EM

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi ecomama,

You have a great (and somewhat challenging) nature yourself - don't ever lose that; I can only ever chuckle at your perceptive candour.

I am happy to let others describe me, but not to define me - in fact, I would find it impossible to describe my SELF for it has no discernable physical form.

Differentiating between perception and understanding, I think, is the first step...

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Lololol... hark an Angel has descended from on high... Hi tranzcrybe lol!

Yah perception of SELF here amongst us humans is probably describing the physical form we inhabit, albeit fleetingly, ... until we change form again.

Does your indiscernable (not a word lol) "self" eat well, do meditation or is it knowingly connected to the wider quantum field or such?

Like do you ride a bike?

Ah I am but a mere mortal in your presence lol.

EM

Jasjit
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Ecomama!!!

I am really glad that you found my post helpful!! After experiencing certain changes in myself - I have this strong urge to inspire others and make other people's lives blissful.

Well, there are several types of yoga that I do but the most basic one is AUM!!

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TACQ6IvxRw

This really helps your internal organs to stay calm and then we can proceed to further complex yogas.

Please tell me how you go. Happy to share more!!