FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PREVENTION is better than cure

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

So, you've recovered? Been through the whole process eh? The trauma of developing a mental illness what ever it is, then the GP visits, losing friends, meds, losing family, psychiatrists, losing your mind. But eventually you have recovered enough to be back on track.....all the while hoping your meds will keep you in check. What if they dont?

Many of us have relapses all our lives. We read about them here- a lot. So, is medication enough to hold off a bout of depression, anxiety etc...likely not.

So cut to the chase what other preventative strategies can we implement to safe guard us from falling into the abyss? Ideas for "staying well"?

My wife and I have a friend "Joy". Joy lives alone after a 30 year marriage full of physical and mental abuse. She has a brother much older than her that visits her and stays a few days. Joy rents a house that is falling around her. While her brother visited she wanted to fix the sensor lights at the back door. Last summer she nearly stepped on a snake as she alighted her car one night. She proceeded to get a ladder and tools. Her brother stepped in to help. Her brother was not a natural handyperson and began to get frustrated with rotten wood and Joy's dog running a muck. They argued and Joy rocked up at our doorstep in tears.

"Why dont you just use a torch" I asked. She stared at me, then stared some more. This simple answer blew her away. So obvious to some, not to others. LED torches last a long time now and are bright and rechargable. You can even get a baseball cap with inbuilt torch now thats solar powered.

Also men from her brothers generation (baby boomer) havent adapted to women being able to be handy and they step in. So I suggested she ask her brother to "supervise". Giving his importance to himself to help his kid sister.

Sometimes people with MI automatically prevent further issues by their defenses. Not meeting new people or once they meet they dont pursue a close relationship. This might seem bad but this natural defence approach isnt so bad as long as some new people are chosen to seek a friendship. There is a happy medium, caution!. Choose people with similar interests, age and lifestyle but above all the same heart towards things like animal welfare, giving to others and interests.

Unfortunately we dont have crystal balls to tell us if they are vicious down the road. But we arent perfect so move on.

If you have an upset, take a break. Find a logical remedy if you can. Plan to avoid triggers if you can.

Tony WK

3 Replies 3

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your post. There are a lot of different points here that you have made.

I especially like this part:

"So cut to the chase what other preventative strategies can we implement to safe guard us from falling into the abyss? Ideas for "staying well"? "

I'm sure there was a post somewhere about strategies and methods people use to help themselves to stay well, or to help themselves once they start to feel like they are loosing some control of their Mental illness.

It is important to have these steps in place.

These last few months I have discovered whom I can rely on for help and who just isn't able to understand or provide the help and assistance I need.

In my craft room I have little projects organised ready to do on a tough day. Just small things that I can accomplish easily, therefore providing me with a sense of achievement.

Recently I bought a book which was called something like "Colouring in for adults", it has some pretty intricate designs and patterns to get your creative mind working.

When I don't feel able to concentrate on a book or a puzzle, or it is raining and I can't venture out into the garden, then colouring is an option or getting the paints out and making a mess is another fun choice.

Thanks for the reminder Tony that it always pay to have some ideas and strategies organised just in case that blighter of a black dog comes again to bite us hard!

Cheers, from Mrs. Dools

Hi Mrs Dools

small projects to feel you've achieved. Great idea.

I used to fly radio controlled model aircraft. Expensive hobby and we are now on a pension So I thought - why not return to your original balsa hobby when I was young, say 13yo....making balsa planes powered by rubber bands that turn the propellers.

I have a 'man cave' now in my shed. warmer in winter than the large garage. I'll use it to make my small projects. Thanks Mrs Dools.

Brainstorming can produce the smallest of logical answers.

Tony WK

Hi Tony,

I so remember those planes made from balsa wood. I so wanted one of my own. As a kid, we lived right across from the local oval and some guys used to fly their planes on the oval. I had a great time watching them.

The best I could do was a home made kite. I had so much fun with that. Mum bought me  a kite with an eagle design on it. Dad ended up using it out near the fruit trees when the fruit was on the trees.

Yes. Small projects work well for me for many reasons. There just don't seem to be enough hours in a day to achieve everything that needs to be done let alone what I would like to do at times.

Some days I have limited energy and feel so tired. Depression can be an issue as well with productivity, so small projects it is.

Let me know how you get on with your plane! I might go and buy another kite or make one. We get enough wind here to fly a kite most days.

Cheers for now from Mrs. Dools