FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Nothing excites me or is enjoyable, I worry I suffer with depression

Guest7890
Community Member
I worry that I may be suffering from depression. My university course has just started up and I already have a sense of dread of all the work I will have to do for it. I spent most of today doing readings that were so boring it took me 2 hours to get through them as I couldn't concentrate. After a while I thought I would spend some time doing something I wanted to do before I had to go to work, however, then I realised just how much I really didn't want to do anything. The past couple of weeks I have only been doing things because I feel I should or have to. Everything feels like a chore and I don't know what to do. I dread going to work, I dread doing uni work and I don't know what I actually want to do when I finally have free time. I feel bad reaching out to my boyfriend or any of my friends because I don't want to seem like I'm always so sad. I've also been crying frequently usually before sleeping at night. Has anyone else been like this and know how I can improve.
2 Replies 2

Aphador
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Maydays! 🙂

Great work on being able to reach out for help- you've done the most important step.

I have had similar periods as you have described and they suck- feeling like your life is living your, rather than you are living your life.

I think the first things I would suggest is to use your support network. Do you have a counsellor or therapist that you see? Universities offer a free (in person) counselling service that is absolutely awesome- I would 100% recommend it. If you fear you may be suffering from depression, I would recommend seeing a GP (if you haven't already) so that they can assess your situation. They may provide you with a mental health plan to see a psychologist.

Secondly, I would suggest talking it over with your friends if/when you are comfortable doing so. Strength of character doesn't mean you have to be a stoic superhero. When we have these conversations with our friends and are able to openly share, it strengthens our bonds with them.

I think these things should be the starting point for you. I can talk about specific strategies later if you are interested.

Do you think you are able to talk to your friends at this stage?

Keep me updated! (If you wish)

Aphador 🙂

TackyTapir
Community Member

Hi Maydays,

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so glum. I can tell you that feeling flat and apathetic, as you seem to be, can be symptoms of depression. I would strongly suggest you discuss this with an appropriate health service.

Given that you are a university student, I think you might benefit from getting in to contact with some of the support options your university might offer. Many offer counselling appointments, which can help you get started on a journey towards feeling better, but can also help you maintain deadlines and things related to your studies. University Counsellors will have lots of resources you can access, and can assist you with extension applications.

Outside of university, I would encourage you to continue with things you enjoy, even if you aren't enjoying them right now. Especially if you have a friend or family member you can encourage to join you, and offer support. It might feel hard reaching out, but you do deserve support, and hopefully those around you will agree.

Another source of support would be to get in touch with your GP and to discuss how you have been feeling with them. They can help you to access psychology services, which might be the thing you need.

Of course, keep posting on the forums, there is always lots of advice, and people willing to chat.

Good luck, I hope you can start feeling on top of things again soon.