FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Combating negativity

Caro1107
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I’m newish here, well this is my first post.

Im at a strange crossroads in my life where I really just hate my job. I’ve been doing admin since I was 21 and I’m now 34. The thought of sitting trapped in an office for 40 hours a week for the rest of my life makes me feel sick to my stomach. I’ve been feeling like this for the past year. I’ve expressed these feelings to and how I not only want to but NEED to find a career/job that I’m passionate about. I need to feel like I’m actually accomplishing something. The problem is that the people in my life just keep squashing my ideas. They keep coming up with reasons why I shouldn't pursue something different. I find it so negative and discouraging and so I go back to being miserable in my current job. Has anyone else’s experienced this?? I feel like now I don’t have the confidence to take the leap and try something new and I’m sick of feeling like that!!

4 Replies 4

monkey_magic
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi Caro1107,

Welcome to BB.

What are your ideas in regards to a job/ career you are passionate about?

I won't squash them.

I have felt just like you and then went and did a Tafe course to persue something I loved. It's never too late.

U have one life on this Earth and work takes up so much of our time so it's worth doing something that fulfills, satisfies, and makes us content &/or happy.

Follow your dreams...

Don't worry about other ppls negativity and focus on what you want to do!

😀

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Caro1107,

Thank you for your post! I hear you in being discouraged when having these conversations - I see it as a little act of rebellion that you're talking to us about it anyway instead of letting that go. That alone shows confidence and a leap.

Do you want to share with us some of the ideas that you've come up with, or some of the things that appeal to you?

I promise I'll work not to squash them for you..

rt

P0L0
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Caro1107,

I just wanted to reiterate what monkey_magic and romantic_thi3f have stated, because one can never have enough reinforcement to do what you love.

You should do what your heart desires. You are put on this planet for YOU, and not for those around you. So for others to dictate what you should do is not right. You can and should do whatever you love to do; it is what we are put on Earth to do.

You are only as strong as you think you are, so think great things, and you will do great things.

Follow your dreams!

P0L0

Gambit87
Community Member

Hi Caro1107!

I cannot relate to your post enough!

I've been in the same job (Customer service rep) for 10 years now! To be fair my role is fairly cruisy but its the same thing day in/day out, there's no opportunities for advancement and its leading me nowhere. Like you, I need to feel like im accomplishing something.

I had hoped to hit 10 years, take long service leave and go on holidays then start looking for other jobs... then covid hit haha.

I've decided that I am going to do a Uni prep course and possibly apply for uni next year! completely different to where I was looking but its kinda exciting!

Caro1107 you do you! ignore the naysayers! you don't need that negativity. Only you can change your situation, so if you find something that interests you, do it!

All the best