FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please post so we can help grow the forums accordingly)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

This is only the basic dictionary definition...

"Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment without judgement"

• Please be as blunt you wish....If you dont have an idea about mindfulness it would be great if you could let us know
  • If mindfulness hasnt worked/or is too broad a concept for you it would great if you can let us know your thoughts too
  • If mindfulness has helped you, please help others to help themselves by posting how you have embraced this mindset

It goes without saying that the forums are a judgement free zone and I really hope that everyone can jump in and have their say

Your input is highly valued no matter how you respond to this topic. There are no experts here...New Posters are Most Welcome!!

My Kindest Thoughts

Paul

1,355 Replies 1,355

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ecomama, what a gret description of what Just sara wrote bout hpw anxiety and depression relate differently to mindfulness.

So interesting.

I wonder if people have personal experience of the difference with mindfulness with anxiety and or depression,

Hi EM and everyone! New members are always welcome to post too 🙂

Hey EM....Thankyou so much for your excellent post. Mindfulness can be sometimes be difficult to practise when we are in a dark place....You are spot on EM...JustSara's post is brilliant

Hey Quirky.....Thankyou again for your unswerving support and input on a subject that I have always found somewhat difficult to comprehend....( I am doing my best though!)

my kind thoughts always

Paul

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi all

I have been using Smiling Mind app and meditating each night before bed. Sometimes a morning one too. It really focuses on breathing for mindfulness. Paying attention to the breath, feeling the breath enter and leave the body etc. One exercise is to practise mindfulness/breathin when doing a certain thing ie everytime you open a door or everytime you sit down. I'm still new at it but enjoying it. It's something I never thought I could do.

Cmf x

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I've been stretching. Paying attention to how my body feels when I stretch. Gently of course..

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

CMF said:I've been stretching. Paying attention to how my body feels when I stretch. Gently of course..

Wow CMF.

Under guidance from my chiro... Years ago he said that I had a back like a "tortoise shell" and to him this indicates "protection"... curling up to protect.

So when we feel scared or anxious, or have a compressed feeling in our chest.... Instead of curling up by instinct, we can affirm to our body and mind that we are safe. The crucifix exercise he gave me: Stand up & open arms and legs into a star shape. Wrists flexed as far back as comfortable. Head back exposing neck.

EM

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Em,

Love that info, thanks for sharing.

Makes so much sense and I love the 'tortoise shell example.

How is your stretching going? Are you finding it helpful?

Take care

Cmf x

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I was recently asked by my psych to try mindfulness. Normally I'm very goal orientated but now depression, tiredness & lots of life stressors have made it very hard to be motivated so when I do anything I'm having to really push myself & then even things I should enjoy are just a chore. The way my psych wants me to do mindfulness is to concentrate on the journey rather than the goal.

The one way I find this easier is walking when I take time to enjoy the walk. Recently I took my young grandkids for a walk. They were constantly stopping to throw things in puddles. Watching them float or sink. They started bringing rocks to ask how they were made leading to a full geology lesson. Other times they balanced on narrow walls or pieces of wood. I just went at their pace with no plan of where to go. It was much better than my normal walk where I try to do a route to get the exercise done quickly. Good physically but not so good mentally.

I need to find ways to do this with other projects. Recently I was doing something which I've been finding stressful. I purposely tried to take moments of time to stop & think about what I was doing and get some pleasure or a break from the pressure.

I'm interested in others ideas to help/ encourage me

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

CMF said:Hi Em,

Love that info, thanks for sharing.

Makes so much sense and I love the 'tortoise shell example.

How is your stretching going? Are you finding it helpful?

Take care

Cmf x

ABSOLUTELY!

I work with a lot of clients who've had abuse in their background. I'm currently supporting family members who have also.

When anyone says to me things like "I can't breathe from the stress etc" and usually they are hunched over, if I feel the timing is appropriate then I say can you do this with me?.....

And I show them how to do the crucifix stretch. The wrists flexed back is like the "ping" moment, once you flex your wrists back and your head back, something happens. You can feel the change.

If we reflect upon the behavior of animals in a fright / flight / freeze state - heightened awareness / vigilance and they've 'flipped' - amygdala is exposed... like us, then they cover their vital organs of stomach and neck. We do too instinctively. We are animals after all.

Following constant heightened states of anxiety / trauma / abuse..... to affirm to our bodies that we are safe supports a correction of balance.

It's also a great pose for breastfeeding mothers - hunching to feed and protect babies/

It's also a great pose for gardeners lol - pushing barrows, raking, sweeping, digging etc.

It's also great for anyone using computers at sit down desks a lot. That's why I love the stand up desk. Affirming a feeling of being safe.

Love EM

Hello everyone

lizabeth that was a lovely description of a walk with your grandsons. I felt peaceful reading it.

am not good at crafts, art etc, but I took up knitting well just plain stitch scarves and it doesn't matter if I ever finish them because when I feel a bit stressed and worried I sit and knit . Even a few rows helps me to be in the moment. I also like walks but I am alone but I just look at the different houses breathe in as I walk up a steep hill, and feel how cold it is against my cheeks.

Way back people talked about eating mindfully, instead of eating fast try , looking smelling, maybe feeling if it is a fruit, before eating then eating slowly,. This helped me as I am a fast eater at times.

Thanks Elizabeth

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey CMF.. ecomama...ElizabethCP...Quirky and Everyone!

Thankyou for your super helpful &ongoing contribution to the discussion 🙂

Maybe I am inexperienced with 'Mindfulness' and its meaning (as per my thread topic) yet I just find 'grounding' myself in the 'moment' very effective.. in the early 1980's psychologists/psychiatrists never mentioned mindfulness during my appointments

All contributions are always welcome and appreciated!

Have a really good week amazing people.....Paul