FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please post so we can help grow the forums accordingly)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

This is only the basic dictionary definition...

"Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment without judgement"

• Please be as blunt you wish....If you dont have an idea about mindfulness it would be great if you could let us know
  • If mindfulness hasnt worked/or is too broad a concept for you it would great if you can let us know your thoughts too
  • If mindfulness has helped you, please help others to help themselves by posting how you have embraced this mindset

It goes without saying that the forums are a judgement free zone and I really hope that everyone can jump in and have their say

Your input is highly valued no matter how you respond to this topic. There are no experts here...New Posters are Most Welcome!!

My Kindest Thoughts

Paul

1,355 Replies 1,355

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello everyone and...CMF...Kitty...Tim...Quirky...

Thankyou so much for speaking from the heart 😀

Its only my humble opinion that the term 'Mindfulness' can be problematic when people are experiencing mental health symptoms that have an impact on their ability to function on a day to day basis. In theory it is helpful with low level stress issues yet can be meaningless to people in pain.

my kindest always

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Paul, I agree, if you are having great trouble trying to focus because of your mental illness, then Mindfulness won't allow you to be able to overcome your problem.

Geoff.

Life Member.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Paul & everyone reading 

I also agree. I know my anxiety/sadness overtakes my ability to be/think of being mindful. If your mind is not clear it is very hard to do.

I'm tired. My mind is busy.  I can't do it at the moment.

Cmf

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Paul, Geoff, CMF and all,

I relate to what you are all saying here. I had been practising mindfulness meditation for about 8 years. It had really been helping me. I had a history of childhood trauma but I was managing at this stage. Then I experienced another trauma that completely overwhelmed me. My ability to do mindfulness meditation went out the window. I went to meditation sessions at a Buddhist centre that had always helped me in the past, but they no longer worked. I left feeling as disturbed as I was before the meditation.

So I think there is a threshold with mental health where once you’ve crossed it, mindfulness becomes near impossible to access. At times like these I’ve had to turn to body-based therapies that involve some kind of movement or doing something, as sitting still in meditation or trying to just be with the present moment has often become too hard. It’s like my body has to instinctively release the trauma. My mind is too overwhelmed to do anything.

For me this has been through somatic-based trauma therapies as well as bodywork therapies like Bowen therapy. I find starting with the body releasing stuff leads to the mind eventually following and feeling better.

I hope one day to return to being a good mindfulness meditator. I can do it a bit but not like I used to. At the moment there is too much chaos, dissociation etc which is actually being helped much more by starting with the body and nervous system and the primal responses there.

As physiological trauma responses in my body start to unwind, release and heal, it’s like the potential for mindfulness opens up again.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

I am going to sort of disagree with the statement that if you problems with focus then mindfulness won't work.

There are times where mindfulness should not be used. I also acknowledge it is not be a cure-all solution. Mindfulness related practices can be helpful for those with a mental illness, including those who struggle with focus.

Given the range and breadth of both mental illnesses and what constitutes mindfulness ... it's important to recognize that each person's experience with mental illness is unique, and different approaches may work better for different individuals. Some individuals with severe mental health challenges may require additional support, such as therapy or medication, alongside mindfulness practices.

As such, my suggestion would be to consult with a qualified mental health professional who can provide personalized guidance based on individuals specific circumstances and needs; and determine the most appropriate strategies to support the person.

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi All,

I think mindfulness can be a very beneficial tool. In my case I’m remembering losing the ability to access it under the conditions of acute trauma. I’m still haven’t been able to recover the capacity for mindfulness I once had in terms of meditation.

But I’m probably actually practising it again now in terms of the walks I do in nature and becoming absorbed in my surroundings. So perhaps it is a case of modifying how it’s practised under certain circumstances, or perhaps altering the terminology and reframing it somewhat.

I do agree with Paul that the term “mindfulness” can be an issue when dealing with large amounts of pain - emotional and/or physical. The only way I’ve been able to successfully approach trauma is through starting with the feeling body. In trauma there can be dissociation that persists in the case of PTSD. So grounding techniques of sensing and feeling through the body are often the only way back to some kind of equilibrium. I think that’s where the term “mindfulness” can sometimes lose a traumatised person.

To me, “groundedness” or “feeling-connectedness” better explain what helps me. Theoretically “mindfulness” is meant to help access body connection and groundedness, but the very idea of “mind” can get in the way when the mind is experiencing dissociation, spacey-ness and confusion.

Basically I have been on both sides of the fence - when mindfulness meditation was a wonderful, helpful tool, and when it became completely inaccessible when saturated with trauma. The brain no longer works the same after a certain number of trauma impacts.

I’d love one day to re-access the kind of mindfulness I could once do. I was practising Theravada-style insight meditation. I was starting to sometimes reach what are called jhanas and enter a state of pure being.

I’m now still finding it helpful to work with altered states of consciousness but in a way that I’m not sure is “mindfulness”. It’s more a kind of feeling and then releasing of autonomic stress through things like chanting, singing and sound healing (calming and healing the vagus nerve), so quite physiological. When I go into a parasympathetic state my body quite often then goes into an altered state of consciousness automatically and produces healing imagery and resolves internal conflicts. It’s quite an active state and very much a process of letting go - probably less refined and more active, involuntary (once consciousness shifts) and primal than mindfulness. But it’s what works best for me as I work towards healing trauma states. They are starting to use psychedelics in trials with people with PTSD because of an awareness of this process. I haven’t used psychedelics but my brain seems to enter states akin to those induced by psychedelics, probably just less intensely without them. It’s like intrinsic self-healing.

Not sure how much sense that makes, but I just wanted to give a trauma recovery perspective. The healing stuff that works for me now is probably somewhat akin to “mindfulness”, but is much more visceral and raw, which I think is meeting trauma where it’s at in the body.