FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Living in Public Housing - is it affecting your health?

Hanna3
Community Member

I'm living in public housing and the fibro house is so hot in the summer I got heat exhaustion and my little dog had to go to the vet with heat exhaustion. In winter it's so cold we have to stay outside most of the day as it's warmer (it gets sub-zero here in winter) and we can't afford the heating. There is no air conditioning or way to cool the house in summer.

Before this I lived in a unit block of public housing and it was frightening being a woman living alone as some of the men would throw things at my windows at night and threaten me. The police had to be called again and again, it was embarrassing and frightening as the men would get into fights with each other. I thought when I moved to an old house in a normal residential street it would be different, but they have had such bad tenants here in the past the neighbours are suspicious of me - I am an older woman living alone with my small dog, I had to stop working and go on the pension for health reasons. There is no support here and I am left entirely alone. I am now trying to get a transfer out but the paperwork is dreadful and the wait times are very long.

I am grateful for having an affordable home but I wish it was better insulated for hot summers and cold winters and that I felt safer. I dread the summer, last summer was like being baked alive in this house.

Is anyone else here living in public housing and how do you find it?

22 Replies 22

ShelleyM
Community Member

I live in housing commission in Townsville. No insulation, the house feels like it's cooking you alive. Especially in 40+ degree heat plus 100% humidity. My house fills with mould, easily. Nothing kills it. Whoever did the painting on this property should be sued, they painted straight over the top of it, and it's coming through the paint. 

To the people commenting to get a fan? All they do is circulate hot air, actually making rooms hotter. 

I have gone out and bought portable air conditioners, a considerable expense on

my behalf, only to be told by housing commission that I am not allowed to 

use them because it's considered by them a "luxury" that extends budget. They can kiss my ass, I work, I pay my bills, not them. I have an autistic son, heat overrides his sensory  threshold and he gets ill very quickly as the heat stresses him out to the point of panic attacks, anxiety and heat fatigue. 

Not to mention the house is slowly falling apart which is a concern due to the overboard asbestos all through the place.

Sure I am thankful for a roof and a place to call home. But rentals in QLD mostly do have air con and quite a few rentals have power, which would be economical and make life a little more comfortable. 

999354_Titi
Community Member

I live in homewest housing very old house even the world is cracking with my kids as single mother. I been dealing with cockroaches and rats since I moved there. I used get attacked by ppl who used to live there before me push down my fence report to police then homewest send ppl to fix it and the last accident that happened when they smashed my living room window with alcohol bottle that went I fed up and went to complain to housing now they need a lot of evidence like latter from my doc, pictures of the damage in the house to put me on waiting list. It is stressful i innerstand you. 

Joker767
Community Member

I have lived in public housing for over 20 years and I'm grateful for cheaper rent but my mental health has deteriorated to the point I'm seriously giving up my place as I've had living surrounded by scumbags and yes I have met some decent people but the bad outway the good and the housing provider only care about getting their rent, I have transferred 4 times and all because of being verbally attacked and the thing is your never told what your moving to by the person showing the property then you find out the hard way.

People automatically think your lucky to be paying cheaper rent but at what cost, if you can afford to pay privately and don't mind moving if need be as maybe the owner wants to sell and your physically able to move your furniture then I would opt for private rental over applying for a public housing, I'm 55 and my partner is in her 60's and arthritis has hit hard and my partner has had enough of moving in which I don't blame her but when you have had enough you have had enough.