FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Insight and faith

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

We all try, but how many of us with a mental issue can accurately gauge if we are well or the seriousness of our problem.? After all, our problems affect others doesn't it?

Are our partners/carers the better judge of our wellness?

I'd suggest they are with a proviso (a little on that later).

Let's take moods from the up and down bipolar disorder. When I am in a bad mood I feel angry at something or someone. To another person its a bad mood, an extreme of what would be classed as normal reaction. To me its none if that. Its something I'm angry about. Who is effected by the mood? My partner not I. In all honesty I don't feel my moods are extreme but too many people give me feedback so I can't deny it. But you can understand the struggle within. To believe others about your behaviour you think isn't extreme. Its a tough call. And I constantly question my own actions and words.

One exception with this blind faith of others account, is the alterior motive. I had a partner once that used my moods as a lever to justify her side of arguments. It seemed that possessing bad moods meant you forgave any right to disagree with opinion. Be aware if this for although extreme behaviour is all part if the bipolar package, you should not resign your rights to opinion.

We that need to jump daily hurdles in our quest for stability and happiness and crave for empathy from others should realise that our partners and carers need empathy also. It must be so hard for them to keep convincing us we are not being tolerable, easy going or fun. All the while we go about our life with no thought of how difficult it is for them.

Insight into our own Illness is not a given. Some don't have it. If you have insight you are one if the lucky ones. If you have empathy towards others for the tolerance they need to constantly judge our mood then you have extended yourself to be considerate and have placed much faith in your carer.

And that is a good goal, for you are returning effort. You are in fact a team.

It is not likely we can step in others shoes and see us from their position....hence the level of faith needed.

In most cases carers are better observers of our behaviour.

What do you think?

Tony WK

22 Replies 22

Starwolf
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Oh yes, Cornie...varying doses of insecurity come with the human territory, something shared by other sentient creatures too. I agree there will always be predators on the lookout, whether the prey has been weakened or not. Some will actually enjoy the challenge of starting the eroding process from scratch...

Whether we like it or not, we're all subject to natural laws. No matter how much we try to escape them. They can be tweaked in small ways but there's always a price to be paid. The predator/prey relationship is here to stay. Insight, quick thinking and caution are necessary.

My psychiatrist once said to my wife " you'll have difficulty deciding what parts of his behaviour is mental issues and what is personality. If you think its mental and its personality then he'll pay a price for being himself".

I wonder how many members out there have their personality suppressed due to their mental illness?

Your thoughts?

Tony WK

As long as YOU have no doubt which is which and those around you can keep an open mind, all will be well. Then reasonable, honest discussion can prevail. Not easy as both can be so tightly interwoven.

I had a similar problem while caring for my daughter. Figuring whether her behaviour was due to brain injury or her inclination to use and manipulate was a dilemma. I had to keep a journal and be very observant...and I still sometimes got it wrong.

Deciding which parts of my outlook on life were due to past trauma and which were personality didn't come easy either. It took years of thoughtful mind work to disentangle one from the other. Having been exposed to both sides of the story, I understand how difficult it can be for our loved ones.

Mental illness or not, false interpretations do occur in any relationship. Mental illness complicates the issue, as it does everything else. It is easy for those around us to dismiss behaviour they can't understand as due to illness. Those who don't have a mental condition to fall back on to explain misunderstood attitude will view us as crackpots barking up the wrong tree.