FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How does your workplace work for your anxiety/depression?

Adylia
Community Member

I am currently jobless and considering a change in career as the industry I am trained for does not allow ANY room for modified workload as stress is a big trigger for me. My biggest problems are communicating with strangers, phone calls and "on the spot" thinking (things that make you feel like a chef with 2,840 orders at once).

I have taken so many days off for depression - needing to sleep, adjusting to medications, and in an industry where it is 'all or nothing' I just can't do it anymore.

Focus on the good stuff right - I am good at listening. I enjoy tasks where I can zone out.

On the negative side, my medications have a requirement of no strenuous activity - otherwise I would consider cleaning.

So to all those fellow sufferers out there, how do you make your work life suit your emotional needs? What sort of job are you in? How do you approach your boss about work being an issue with mental illnesses? Do you have any hints or tips to newbies like me?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Adylia, welcome

Interesting topic. I've had around 90 jobs and 15 professions thanks to my mania as a younger man. After all those jobs and less than 3 years duration, usually only weeks, I found a profession that ticked all the boxes.

Jobs that IMO should be avoided with people with mental illness are- customer service, working with food/cooking, jobs with time schedules, jobs with unrealistic schedules and goals (sales), any shift work, constant supervision, under bosses with no tact/supervisory skills.

Ok, so that rules out 95% of jobs. But its something to strive for.

In my case most of my life I worked in the above. Then I started up my own business in the investigation field. Having a career in security and ADF I had a head start, did the inquiry agents course and a small amount of money to buy equipment. Suddenly I found a job I knew I had natural talent and I made my own decisions on the road. That lasted 13 years until my mental health force retirement. That profession was unlike normal business ownership like running a shop...a poor choice that would be.

At least that will give you a goal. Keep looking for a profession that is less stressful, a boss that is calm and reassuring that encourages you. Warning- there aren't many jobs like that.

Furthermore, its better to do 2-3 part time jobs than one full time. That will give you more distraction from mundane long hours as endurance isn't a strong point of ours. That might also give you a break between jobs.

google

Topic: workplace torment- beyondblue

Repost anytime

Tony WK

Thank you.

Your second paragraph was helpful, but 95% of jobs gone is a toughy.

It would be great to hear from others about what industry they are in and how it helps them. Security isn't for me at all, I would be paranoid of the worst, however, I am glad to hear it worked out for you.

I am also wondering if there is some sort of work fitness assessment online somewhere to determine IF you are able to work at all, and if so, WHAT type is suited. I don't want to see a careers/centrelink person as they only care about any employment = good for our records.

Adylia

Hi Adylia

I understand your pain as I have had anxiety & depression since 1983 and have been working in senior management throughout the majority of this awful illness

Can I ask you how you are progressing with your GP/Counselor if thats okay?

I still see my doc every 4 weeks for a 'tune up' where my depression is concerned....Just for your info I used to have chronic anxiety prior to the depression and it took a ton of determination and patience to get a 'handle' on reducing my anxiety

The forums are a rock solid safe & judgement free place where you can post

I hope you can stick around the forums when its convenient for you

My Kind thoughts

Paul