FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

HOW DO YOU KEEP BUSY???

Gab_
Community Member

I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm having negative thoughts, the only way for me to stay on top of my head is to keep busy.

For me it helps to be productive and creative, whether that be by working, doing my assignments, exercising, painting, or writing poetry.

Does anyone out there want to share how they cope when they're feeling 'not so hot'???

17 Replies 17

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hiya

I love that you mentioned productive and creative, because my psych warned against busyness for busyness sake. One day I walked and walked and walked just to get my head to shoosh. It worked ok but then I was miles away lol

Ive found that sometimes gardening, particularly weeding, is good. There’s that grounding, nature element as well as sense of accomplishment. Or just getting my thoughts out on paper if I don’t have the mental space to concentrate on an assignment 🙂

Miz
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Gab - I completely agree!

At the moment, it feels like the only way to escape the bad thoughts/bad news is by occupying our mind with other things and keeping super busy! It sounds like you're doing some really helpful things like using creative outlets and exercising. When I feel overwhelmed and start having those 'not so hot' thoughts I like to go on a long walk in nature. To help keep me grounded, I try to be really aware of my surroundings - even just focusing on the type of trees I can see or if I can hear any bird noises. I think exercise is one of the best distractors and also has the added benefit of boosting our endorphins!

It really sounds like you are doing lot's of productive, positive things to keep you busy - have you tried any puzzles? I find they can be a really good distraction when things aren't going so well!

startingnew
Community Member

hello! i also have to be busy otherwise my mental health goes downhill

i do work 2 jobs so that mostly keeps me busy but some other things i like to do are

-crochet

-diamond artwork

-short online courses to study

-colouring in, and doing findawords

-scrapbooking

-i also find reorganising things and decluttering helpful too

-gardening

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Gab, thanks for your comment.

You have asked a good question because everyone is different, but what I used to do was paint and in that, I mean, paint the timber windows outdoors, even if they didn't need a coat of paint using a large size paint brush, and painting because I could see and benefit from a change.

Other people like to walk, while others enjoy going to the inside/outside pool.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

that's very helpful, I like that 'grounding' element, that's a really nice perspective, makes me think about being in the moment

Gab_
Community Member
I love that idea! Maybe I'll take my puzzle out, it's a very mind-occupying activity

Gab_
Community Member
love it! I need to properly get into scrapbooking but I kind of shy away, hard to be creative sometimes

Gab_
Community Member
I get you, I like being practical too 🙂

topsy_
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

How do I keep busy? I don’t! I’m bored out of my brain. Stuck with no energy or motivation.

I know it’s up to me to change it. But I’m just a big lump on the lounge. Always.