FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Do you finding taking public transport a sort of therapy, psychologically and socially?

ScarlettR
Community Member

I know that to many people, taking public transport can be a dreaded and stressful part of daily life, whether it be buses, trams or trains.

As a person dealing with depression and anxiety, I actually like taking public transport. I live in Melbourne CBD so the main mode of transport here are trams.

Whether you get a seat or not, here are some positive aspects of public transport:

- the feeling of "flying" through places, even if it's on wheels

- sight seeing and people watching

- opportunity to listen to music in a mainly steady and fast paced environment

- opportunity to provide good manners to fellow passengers (make room for them to sit, making room for the disabled, people with babies, pregnant mothers, the elderly) - an instant "feel good" boost

- opportunity to get outside to get some much needed Vitamin D

All this may sound obvious, but if you're dealing with anxiety and fear of closed spaces (like I am), recognising the small things in life gives meaning and purpose.

1 Reply 1

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

HI ScarlettR

I know what you mean. For me taking public transport isn't anxiety ridden (note there are sometimes the odd exception to this rule). It has become easy now with smartphones telling you how to navigate through the different modes of transport and letting you know which train at which time on which platform. Makes it a lot easy. I also find it can be less stressful using public transport than driving, especially if you are not sure about the traffic or parking etc