FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Ambushed at Work

Greyy
Community Member

A year ago I secured a great job with a highly regarded biotherapies group. Initially all went well the role was challenging and I gave it my all - long days and at least one day every weekend. Every time I met a milestone my manager changed his expectations regarding what I should deliver. Initially he reduced the timeframes and then drastically cut my budget so that I was unable to contract vendors and had to do additional work myself. A month before the six month probation period, I met with him, and told him that I would struggle to meet his initial objectives since the timeframes had been reduced and there were inadequate resources to get the work done.

He responded by making a show of chewing his finger nails and laughing.

Two weeks later he told me that he would not confirm my employment beyond six months. I resigned as I realised that the role was no longer tenable.

Subsequently I have discovered that this manager has done the same thing to four people in succession. He gets them to work at the red line. Consequently he has been recognised as developing a high performing workgroup and he has been promoted. Four committed professionals have burned out and resigned; all within six months.

Apparently this is condoned under Employment Law as employees have very few rights in the probation period. I have also discovered that this practice was introduced by a professional consulting firm in Melbourne.

I struggled after this experience. My confidence was shattered and I felt ashamed that the role had not worked out. It was only when I was contacted by my predecessor in the role via LinkedIn who told me she and her predecessor had the same experience that I stopped blaming myself for what happened.

We "comrades in adversity" from the same organisation have become a strong resource to one another. We recognise this evil practice affected all of us and could have left lasting scars. Ironically the perpetrator is likely to go from strength-to-strength.

Sometimes you can't out perform or outlast these practices and the best option is to move on.

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi greyy, welcome

Moving on for some people is nigh impossible, it then results in a bitter fight with legal battles and often a mental illness.

Australia has like all countries a history of injustices. In the 1980's there was the "Paddington bear affair" and the "colour tv affair" both examples of politicians trying to carry items through customs without paying the required tax. One customs officer never left his flat after his ordeal.

For me in 1987 I was a dog ranger. I was ordered to give favoritism to a state politician. I refused. My view was that retirees and unemployed pay for fines why not a fatcat?

I got pains in my chest after a heated arguement with my spineless boss and initially incorrectly diagnosed with heart attack!. Off work for 10 months not a phone call from my bosses I fought them through the press and was on radio. The ombusman sympathised but was powerless. A kangaroo court ended my career however, even though I had severe anxiety and other issues then undiagnosed (bipolar, depression, dysthymia) I was positive and sort other work.

For some its an assault on our honour. We seek justice but it isnt logical. To avoid mental stress better to accept that the injustices are part of life. Loopholes your previous boss exercised for his own benefit will always exist. These people dont have a conscience, no guilt, money focussed etc.

Google- Topic: charity begins at home- beyondblue

A good post this one.

Tony WK

Why is it that those people are the ones that get ahead?

I've always done the right thing by others. Now I realise it has been to the detriment of my family and myself.

I wish I could say that 'at least I can sleep at night' and 'I'm happy' and 'I can live with myself'. But I'm the one struggling with depression, so I can't say any of that is true.

I wouldn't want to be heartless, I appreciate the lessons I have learnt and the empathy I have.

It just sucks that the injustices and the aholes continue to influence our lives and are continually rewarded for their poor behaviour.

Look after no. 1. A favorite quote on BB is "put oxygen mask on yourself first". Isn't that how these people live their lives? Perhaps deep down, I wish I could be like that too?

I've often wondered "who is the mug"?

Hi JS

The new "normal" behaviour is just that. As recent as 30 years ago IMO work ethic got you somewhere. Somehow somewhere along the way values have dropped. The major inclusion during that 30 years has been the introduction of computers but also prior to that the norm of both parents working came into vogue.

Now we have no discipline in schools resulting in teachers trying to do the impossible. They talk to some parents and the teacher gets the blame.

Evverything seems reversed for the good of society. If you are a hard worker you are shunned by your colleagues, in fact, its worse, they'll also let you do all the work as they joke with the boss. Come promotion fay the bosses friend gets it why? Because the boss would rather keep you working your heart out.

Because this is the new norm it is important you with the emotional struggles "fits in", becomes less of a hard worker and doesnt get over tired or wears the body out. Do what your boss expects of you and just a little more.

And make your real life the one after hours.

Tony WK

The new "normal" has become an issue for vulnerable people applying for work with recruitment agencies. It's a commission driven and highly expedient industry. Regrettably all too often people apply for roles, are initially encouraged by recruiters who then disappear into the woodwork. This happens for a number of reasons. Commonly the recruiter did not have the employers consent to recruit (advertise) the role and when they put a candidate forward their proposal is rejected.

In most other industries the ethical practice is to get back to the applicant and explain what happened. In recruitment this seldom happens. The impact is that applicants are encouraged to believe they may be successful and then ignored. This can have a negative impact on vulnerable applicants - especially when it happens more than once.

There is a need for effective regulation of this industry as there don't appear to be any practice guidelines in place.