FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

30 seconds of survival during tough times: what is yours today?

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have a little survival idea that want to run by you all:

I’m not asking for 30 hours or even 30 minutes. I’m only asking:

If you have been going through a hard time or struggling with something (whatever that may be) what were 30 seconds of respite, reprieve or relief that you experienced today? What were you doing in those 30 seconds?

You can write as often as you like or as infrequently as you like. It also doesn’t have to be 30 seconds either. That’s just a number that I chose, because I thought it would be doable for most people. It can be more or less than 30 seconds of survival.

I would love to hear from you 🙂

I’ll start:

On my way to work, I spotted some Christmas decorations, and instantly thought “oh, that’s so pretty!”

30 seconds of relief from my troubles. 30 seconds of survival.

Background/inspiration for this thread:

I was inspired by a book that I’ve been reading. It’s based on real life events where a woman lost her husband unexpectedly, and was left both a widow & single parent overnight.

As you can imagine, she struggled with immense grief and loss, and was unsure when she would be able to see beyond it...reminders of him were everywhere, and she wasn’t sure when the pain would ever subside.

But during a work meeting, while giving a presentation (or maybe she was chairing a meeting?), in that brief period, she forgot about her loss as she was immersed in her work. Sure, of course, her grief returned (as it often does). But in that brief moment, she felt a sense of “normalcy”, if there ever was such a thing.

Okay, so maybe work won’t be your “thing” and maybe it’s not grief that you’re struggling with. Maybe it’s something else (that’s okay and valid).

What I’m getting at is recognising our capacity to survive by recalling brief moments of survival. It all adds up...

Moments when either your pain, heartbreak, loss, disappointment (whatever you’re going through) was temporarily forgotten or even subsided a little. Moments, however fleeting but nonetheless important, of survival 🙂

340 Replies 340

My walk today being totally present in the moment. Looking at the trees and the birds and appreciating the natural beauty and peace.

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Similarly to Willow13 - nature 🙂 I went to yoga in the park. I love yoga, but it's even better in nature. Watching the birds, the wind in the trees, people walking their dogs, and at one point a couple of young lads passing by decided to join in the class and made me giggle.

Gambit87
Community Member

i'm struggling with work at present and I believe its affecting my mental health. I'm 4 months away from 10 years so im trying to hang in there so I get long service leave.

To try and break my day up - I go for a walk around the block every 2 hours and for those few minutes (longer then 30 seconds im sorry haha) my mind is free, i feel im in the present.

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi to all,

Thank you so much for sharing your moments of respite here. It has been encouraging & hopeful to read 🙂

Hope4joy: I love the sound of that family photo. I really liked how they put their family signature on it with their attire. I’m so happy that you had a good laugh. A joyous moment.

The outdoor office that you described sounds wonderful! I hope they harvested lots of cones from the bunya pine trees.

PawPrints: your Woofa is absolutely precious. He was very courageous, even if a bit noisy, to confront your scary pillow 😉

I sometimes think dogs are earth angels. I’m not a very spiritual person, but I think seeing non-human animals like dogs is about as close as I get to having spiritual moments...

Willow: I love how immersed you were in your walk. Truly being in the here and now....

Yes, nature has a lot to offer. Beauty, peace and healing...

Katyonthehamsterwheel: I really like the sound of yoga in the park. The best of both worlds...

It must have been such a special moment of connection to have been doing yoga with birds, dogs, trees, etc in the background. Ah, bliss...

Gambit: not long till your long service leave. Congratulations for being in your job for almost 10 years. I think that’s an enormous achievement 🙂

Longer than 30 seconds is more than okay. Those walks sound as though they really help centre you. I think it’s so good that you go for walks every 2 hours- healthy for body, mind and the human spirit.

Many thanks again for sharing 🙂

Two buckets of coffee and the forums.

Usually Thursdays are my partner's volunteer days so I get a day off, but now the botanic gardens have been mostly destroyed by fire my respite will be what ever I can grab

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Watching a group of bees working hard on the head of a huge sunflower 🌻

xo

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

As always, thank you very much for opening up with your personal moments of relief and respite.

It means a lot to have those small moments, amidst chaos, pain and struggle.

Lady Nova: I’m relieved that you’re finding some comfort in the forums, and yes, coffee is truly wonderful. I also love coffee, so I can relate 😉

I feel saddened about the botanic gardens that you mentioned. You sound rundown and like you need a break...

It’s only a small gesture, I know, but I’m thinking of you...

Beautiful birdy/b: lovely friend, what a special moment. I hope it nurtured your tired spirit a little...

Yes, bees are truly magical creatures. They are tiny, but so important. Where there are bees, there is life...

I smiled at your mention of the sunflower. Your signature. They always make me think of you. I’ve always wondered if it’s your favourite flower. My favourite flower would probably be dahlias, especially black satin (part of the dahlia family)...

Thinking of you too xoxox

I am a carer for three people. My youngest is still in high school so I have his 9-3 respite. My eldest volunteers at an art therapy and runs a therapeutic DnD game every week. I am mum taxi for him then. My partner hardly goes out, but he has his once a week volunteer job at the gardens ... That WAS the day I had my psychology and a meet up for coffee or time out for photography, or lunch with the girls, or put my feet up.

Being worn down is a carer's lot and when a carer is also a mental health consumer, big time, it can get a bit ... rock in the corner "la la la la!" if you know what I mean?

Being regional there are almost no services for mental health or carers. I have campaigned, complained, sat down with deputy mental health commissioners, but services are getting thinner and leaner even as the budget get promoted as getting bigger.

Hi to all the lovely people,

Lady Nova: I think being a carer for one person, let alone 3 people, can really takes its toll. No matter how much you love them, I feel that everyone still needs a break/time to recharge...something that you’ve clearly missed out on this week.

Sadly, I have heard about the inadequate health and mental health services in regional areas. That must be hard...I think it’s sad that little has changed, despite your dedicated efforts to campaign and discuss...I admire your spirit though, but it must still feel discouraging.

All readers:

If you have been going through a hard time or struggling with something (whatever that may be) what were 30 seconds of respite, reprieve or relief that you experienced today? What were you doing in those 30 seconds?

You can write as often or as infrequently as you like. It can be more or less than 30 seconds of survival. That’s just a number that I chose because I think it’s doable for most people 😉

Thank you so much...

what can I say?

Glutton for punishment? lol