FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

30 seconds of survival during tough times: what is yours today?

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have a little survival idea that want to run by you all:

I’m not asking for 30 hours or even 30 minutes. I’m only asking:

If you have been going through a hard time or struggling with something (whatever that may be) what were 30 seconds of respite, reprieve or relief that you experienced today? What were you doing in those 30 seconds?

You can write as often as you like or as infrequently as you like. It also doesn’t have to be 30 seconds either. That’s just a number that I chose, because I thought it would be doable for most people. It can be more or less than 30 seconds of survival.

I would love to hear from you 🙂

I’ll start:

On my way to work, I spotted some Christmas decorations, and instantly thought “oh, that’s so pretty!”

30 seconds of relief from my troubles. 30 seconds of survival.

Background/inspiration for this thread:

I was inspired by a book that I’ve been reading. It’s based on real life events where a woman lost her husband unexpectedly, and was left both a widow & single parent overnight.

As you can imagine, she struggled with immense grief and loss, and was unsure when she would be able to see beyond it...reminders of him were everywhere, and she wasn’t sure when the pain would ever subside.

But during a work meeting, while giving a presentation (or maybe she was chairing a meeting?), in that brief period, she forgot about her loss as she was immersed in her work. Sure, of course, her grief returned (as it often does). But in that brief moment, she felt a sense of “normalcy”, if there ever was such a thing.

Okay, so maybe work won’t be your “thing” and maybe it’s not grief that you’re struggling with. Maybe it’s something else (that’s okay and valid).

What I’m getting at is recognising our capacity to survive by recalling brief moments of survival. It all adds up...

Moments when either your pain, heartbreak, loss, disappointment (whatever you’re going through) was temporarily forgotten or even subsided a little. Moments, however fleeting but nonetheless important, of survival 🙂

340 Replies 340

Pepper,

Thnaks for this great thread and I like Nat appreciate all the time and effort you put onnthe forum.

30 secs I watch the sheer joy in my grand daughters face as she laughs and chats.

As she lives a fair distance away , I have a lovely short video maybe less than 30 secs of her chatting away . I play this a lot when I need cheering up .

Quirky

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

More than 30 seconds, but a reprieve from the weeks I've spent grieving and lonely -

Yoga. Had to drag myself there and then wished I hadn't, but after a while on the mat I found that my mind was finally quiet for a bit.

Stand up paddleboarding. Putting all my energy into paddling my board, surrounded by water, allowed me some peace of mind for a bit.

Great thread. Thanks

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Pepper,

have been feeling a bit down this week and today had a day out with my friend who I don't get to spend much time with.

My 30 seconds was when we were being silly and I laughed and I don't laugh that much so catching myself and enjoying the experience was so precious.

Quirky

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I’m very thankful for your contributions here 🙂

All readers:

The premise of this thread:

If you have been going through a hard time or struggling with something (whatever that may be) what were 30 seconds of respite, reprieve or relief that you experienced today? What were you doing in those 30 seconds?

You can write as often or as infrequently as you like. It can be more or less than 30 seconds of survival. That’s just a number that I chose because I think it’s doable for most people 😉

Quercus: Thank you very much for your kind words. I think that’s lovely of you to say. Thank you for all you do for the forums. Sincerely appreciated 🙂

Your dry stacked wall sounds as though it’s coming along nicely. I know some people find physically challenging work to be an excellent way to de stress. Good work!

Paw Prints: I adore fairy wrens! I have a soft spot for blue fairy wrens. Gorgeous...

I love how the pair looked out for each other by taking turns in the bird baths, so the other could keep an eye out for predators. Thank you so much for sharing 🙂

Quirky: Thank you also for your very supportive words. I’m grateful that you’re so open to this thread.

Thank you to you for always making everyone feel included, including me. I love how genuinely open minded you are, as I really do value your capacity to see things from multiple perspectives.

I think your granddaughter’s video must hold such a special place in your heart. I can imagine the love, connection & joy that it brings you.

I felt sad to hear that you’ve been having a rough time. If it helps you to feel a tiny bit less alone, so have I...if you like hugs, here is one from me...

But I’m glad you found some relief & laughter with your friend. I think moments of connection can be uplifting. Connection can help heal...

kayonthehamsterwheel: I feel for your grief & feelings of loneliness. Both can be very painful...

I’m so glad yoga helped, & I admire how you pushed yourself to go. I think sometimes it helps to push ourselves to do things that we know will help. Well done 🙂

I smiled to read about your paddle boarding. I have never been but it must be one incredible experience!

Me: I decided to wrap a huge blanket, technically a throw, around myself like a cocoon at 1 point. I found that oddly comforting..

I had read about using blankets/ weighted blankets as a self soothing strategy, & suddenly remembered it when I was struggling

Today it's coffee. That first sip is always a treat. I've woken up in a bad headspace today and I think I'll take your cocoon idea and curl up and ignore the world

Hello,

Katyonthehamsterwheel: I feel sad to hear how much you have been struggling. It sounds as though you’ve been going through a hard time...

I hope the cocoon helped a little. Apparently, the cocoon is even better if you have a weighted blanket, or so I heard 🙂

I love coffee! It’s one of my morning highlights, so I can relate to your relief and joy from the first sip...beautiful...

Thinking of you...

Me: when my pen makes contact with paper, I can create a whole new world or tell a previously untold story. The world feels temporarily better, and I feel a little safer and more understood...

It’s incredible what we can do with a single pen and sketchbook 🙂

All readers:
The premise of this thread:

You can write as often or as infrequently as you like. It can be more or less than 30 seconds of survival: relief, reprieve or respite. That’s just a number that I chose because I think it’s doable for most people 😉

Today I had chat with people from UK driving around Australia. For 30 seconds or more I listened to them and really concentrated. I felt refreshed after listening.

Quirky

Hi Quirky (& a wave to all),

Good for you, I’m glad that you had that moment of relief. Precious moments...

Also, I hope those people are enjoying their exploration of Australia 🙂

Kind thoughts to you,

Pepper

Hi Quirky and every one else on this thread, what a nice way to frame one's day in looking for the bursts of joy/ immersion. I'm fighting off a cold at the moment and am also waiting to hear back on an offer I've made to buy my first home, so was proud to just get through the day at work today. But I had two little bright moments that made me come back to the present. Firstly some acquaintances posted their family photo with santa and the 4 of them were in full goth attire with incredible face paint and looking mighty scary, especially their young child, and it cracked me up and had me chuckling for at least the next hour on and off! I also shared it with a few colleagues. Then at lunch time I was going for a walk and some guys were in harnesses ready to climb bunya pine trees to harvest the cones - as they get massive and could injure someone - and that also tickled my fancy that they get to do that as a job, harvesting pine cones on cherry pickers and by climbing - what a wonderful office! So I very much relate to those little shiny moments amongst what can be a difficult day.

Hello Peppy & everyone,

My 30 sec today was watching my Woofa sulk like a petulant teenager after I told him off for bravely barking at the scary pillow on my bed.

Paws