FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Disappointing Discussion on Gay & Lesbian Marriage

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Ok, so although I'm straight, I have a lot of gay friends and I feel quite passionately about this, so I wanted to comment. I'd be interested to hear your views...

So I was driving in the car yesterday. listening to the news on the radio (something I usually ignore). I hear Tony Abbott talking about hosting a "Vote Of Confidence" in parliament about legalising gay and lesbian marriage. The slogan was "This is not about asking for approval of gay and lesbian marriage, it's about asking for tolerance."

...Seriously Mr Abbott, the rest of the country is already tolerant on this issue. It seems like our government is a few steps behind.

AGrace

1 Reply 1

justinok
Community Member

Hey AGrace, I didn't hear it, but I take it from what you've said above that Tony Abbott is going to give his MPs a conscience vote on marriage equality. This would actually be quite a big step forward, because that is what has stopped this getting through previously, Abbott making the Libs block vote against it. If he lets it go to a conscience vote, I'm sure it'll get over the line and then he can keep his outdated attitudes to himself.  I can't understand how someone with a gay sister can have the attitude he has.