FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Victims of narcissism

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Narcissism meaning - selfishness, involving a sense of entitlement, a lack of empathy, and a need for admiration, as characterizing a personality type (Oxford). One of the most powerful tools a narcissist can use at their disposal is triangulation.

As with the above such descriptions are easily available on the internet. What is a problem for many people is that they might not realise they are the victim of a  narcissistic person and the narc might not realise they are using weapons like triangulation to achieve their needs. 

Triangulation of which I've been a victim of in my family is a method whereby one person enlists the support and strength of another in a dispute between them and another person. Triangulation is "bringing out the big guns" to override someone they wish to dominate.

So, classic example- At 27yo I dated a girl not of the religious flavour my mother liked. I argued to mother that it was my choice and when young - she had hers. A few days later my sister would approach me and almost word for word push the same agenda. Then I picked up my GF only to be told my mother had spoken to my GF's mother about it. She spoke to my GF and my GF suggested we split up. In fact that occurred a few days later. 

Being the victim of a narc is like being in a straight jacket with your life because it is being controlled by them and sometimes you dont even know it. You might feel you are the black sheep of the family and this is evident when your siblings or cousins are treated like they are untouchable... these are the "golden children". They do no wrong ever. Any favours you do as a child of the narc will result in a never ending drive to please by you, ultimately wanting to be a golden child also, however, sadly, you wont ever reach such heights 

It all becomes more difficult when a narc parent has a side that you like/love. In my case my mother had a nurturing side that was present until I could think for myself say 16yo. From then on all my thoughts were challenged as a form of domination. At no time were my dreams and creativity encouraged let alone my decisions. 

How to navigate life with a narcissist?

You might need to accept this person is toxic and leave their life. If not certainly create distance between you both so you are not in their primary focus. Either way clarity of a narcs behaviour can be achieved through a therapist. 

Living with mental challenges is hard enough but add a narcissist to the mix and you will feel bullied and controlled.

TonyWK

4 Replies 4

Walls
Community Member

In the early 2000's I took a shift-work Job that I was overqualified for. At that time I had a few physical problems, I was exhausted and I realise now that I was depressed. It was 4 person shift with one shift supervisor and 3 technicians of which I was one. There was one fellow who I later came to think was an overt narcissist. Fuelled by jealousy he was constantly carping and whinging about my performance. I think the supervisor was fearful of saying anything in support of me in case this fellow turned on him. I was told that members of other shifts would not work with him because of his behaviour.

Anyway eventually the supervisor started to disparage me - he had either turned against me or had become overt in his desire for me to leave. After 10 months of this I asked for a shift change because their behaviour became too much.

During this time I sunk further, becoming more depressed, and after, with prompting of my wife sort help. I also was suffering from gall bladder problems - since taken out, and found out I had diverticular disease.

I still battle sometimes but life is much better.

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, 

Thankyou for your account of working  with a narcissist. It sounds like a slow form of torture and we go to work to enjoy using our skills only to be tormented by other workers.

Sometimes you have to protect yourself. This thread below might help.

Fortress of survival part 3 (workplace) - Beyond Blue Forums - 454587

It's good you overcame your physical issues. Shift work however is not a good job to have. I had 4 - 12 hour shifts then 4 days off. Midnight to noon then noon to midnight. It was terrible.

TonyWK

Moonbeamer
Community Member

Wow, I can completely empathise.

Yours has similarities to my experience of narcissistic family members.

My earliest memories are of my narcissistic grandmother verbally abusing me. The constant refrain : 'I only say these things because I love you!". What a horrible legacy to give a child!

Narcissism was normalised in my family, with bullying and abuse described as love. The legacy is not just sad memories. It took well into my 40s to see the bullying from 'friends'  and partners for what it was - wasn't it just like that 'love', so conditional and always granted after abuse, I knew all my life?

Started standing up for myself and those 'friends' hated me for it. My family hated it. I was disowned.

There was never any love ever given by a narcissist in the history of the world.

Hi welcome

How interesting. For some to be so clever to use "love" as a lever for advantage. To extract control, to claim to a child that their abuse of you is to prove their love for you... extraordinary.

It almost must feel being disowned was doing you a favour. But of course it hurts deep.

Eventually, you standing up for yourself would be out of character but necessary. Then you lose more. That's because they took you for an easy target.

How do you feel now? Do you recognise a narcissist when you meet them?

TonyWK