FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Teachers bullied by 'colleagues'

margaret1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

If you’re a teacher being bullied by HOD/ Principal/ colleague I think this may help you. It helped me a lot. I couldn’t understand why when I
was such a good teacher I was having such ridiculous, hurtful, nasty, petty, time wasting, health destroying problems at work.

Anyway here you are; this is why we get bullied:

Teacher bullies in schools “fear exposure of their perceived shortcomings, such as inadequacy and incompetence, and these people bully not
for fun but in order - they think - to survive. Competent colleagues fuel the bully's fear that shortcomings in their capabilities will surface, so they tend to select targets who fulfil some of the criteria below.

Being competent, that is being good at their job, often excelling; being willing to go the extra mile and expect others to do the same; being successful, tenacious, determined, courageous, having fortitude; being imaginative, creative, innovative; being able to master new skills;
thinking long term and seeing the bigger picture; being helpful, always willing to share knowledge and experience; being diligent and
industrious

Being Popular with colleagues, pupils, parents, Being regarded as an expert and the person to whom others come for advice, either personal or professional, having a sense of humour, including displays of quick-wittedness

Having strength of character displaying integrity, honesty,intelligence and intellect; having a well-defined set of values that they are unwilling to compromise; being trustworthy, trusting, conscientious, loyal and dependable; a sense of fairness: willingness to tackle injustice, low propensity to violence and strong forgiving streak, refusing to join an established clique; being sensitive, having empathy, concern for others, respect, tolerance, being slow to anger, showing independence of thought or deed, refusing to become a corporate clone and drone, having high coping skills under stress, especially when the injury to health becomes apparent

69 Replies 69

Seems I can't stay away from the place Marg;

If you want to purge or ask questions, just use this thread ok? I'll respond as soon as I can.

Take care...D xo

PS...Only too glad to help. You're welcome..

margaret1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
hi, I have to write for Allianz and re read all your posts....so helpful, wise and informed. I am so grateful. I was lucky to find you, THANK YOU

You're so welcome Marg;

Anything I can do...just ask ok? Glad to be of assistance.

Cheers...Dizzy xo

margaret1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hi, just wanted to say I m still here. Love the new look, Sara. Things trudge along. Now I am more familiar with the site I feel less alone, there are so many in same boat.

Read somewhere 80 percent of the world is insane, the other 20 percent suffer from depression. Made me smile.

all the best, Marg

Hey Marg;

Sorry..been off the grid for a few days after going into overload. There's been quite a few triggering threads that got my inner's twisting.

It's nice to hear from you I must say. Your comment about not feeling alone due to others being in the same boat gave me a smile. This site works if you let it eh? (all 80% of us..lol)

I've had to let go of my efforts with reviews and the like for now. As much as I'm committed to helping others, it's a different story with me. I just can't seem to shake the PTSD responses. I've done so well in other areas, it's perplexing how that doesn't trickle down into the work stuff..frustrating.

I'm glad you're plodding along. That's all we can do sometimes.

Take care lovely...Sara xo

FrontFoot
Community Member

Hi all,

Teaching for over 20 years, have not been found to have breached the Code of Conduct on any occasion. In the last two years, a new Principal has arrived and relentless false allegations have been made against me. They have all been unsustained. I have been reported to EPAC for meditating with a class, (eyes closed - not actively supervising)

Despite voicing my concerns to the Principal's supervisor, nothing has been done to alleviate the bullying. It has been going on for nearly 2 years now. All documented via email.

One of the most recent allegations against myself were criminal in nature. That I went into the staff rooms of other faculties without permission and went through the belongings of others.

There is no evidence or even a complaint from anyone regarding the above. It is a fabrication. Essentially I have been accused of trespassing and theft. Police were never involved or notified.

The director did nothing. Covered for the Principal.

Yesterday at 4.30pm an email was sent to myself directing me to an office job that is 2 hours drive each way from my house.

The reason given was to protect staff, students, the school and myself, whilst they investigate

This letter come from not the Principal, not the Principal boss, but the next level above. The Executive Director.

No evidence, no medical evidence. Nothing. Just heavy handed bullying. No breaches of the Code of Conduct in over 20 years.

I am a single father of 4. Aged 10,8,5 and 21 months. Obviously traveling 4 hours a day will not be possible whilst I fight this. I have to pick them up and drop them to school.

Looking for advice on how to best deal with the situation. Obviously legal help is a must. Any recommendations ?

I am Sydney based.

Also an experienced psychiatrist, familar with the workings of the "System"

I have reported the injury, have a WorkCover certificate documenting the bullying and injury (anxiety, depression). The certificate states I am fit for duties at present.

Ta for any help, advice.

FrankA
Community Member

Great thread Margaret1. The language you use in your writing is what has drawn me into your shared learnings. I am a product of workplace bullying and harassment. I put up with it for more than 12mo before me self worth was eroded to the point of hospitalisation.

I agree with you criteria. I perceived myself to be competent and often received accolades for performance. I was popular in the context of my ability to network and fulfil other staffs expectations. Lastly, I thought I was strong but I think this was the first chapter trait that was targeted.

I am going back to read the other responses to your post. By the way, I work in adult education. It seams a bully functions in the same across all workplaces.

Thank you Margaret. Franka.

Hey Frank!

Margaret and I have been conversing about these issues for quite a while. It seems the education system needs some of it's own ejimicating! A bit of hard hitting 'therapy' I'd say!

It seems to me, us emotive individuals can have it pretty tough in the workplace. I've left lots of info in the above posts for a good read.

Good luck...keep up the good fight peep's. Ask me anything, I'm only too glad to help.

Sara

Hey Front Foot!

Seeing as this is your first post, I'm gathering life isn't treating you too well on the work front? Welcome to BB forum and our wonderful caring community!

This issue is very close to home for me. I've been with Margaret from the beginning on this thread. Have a read of our responses and then come back to ask questions if you want to.

In your situation, I'd read the Award back to front and call the union for support. What they seem to have done would be called 'Industrial' action which comes under the union banner. I don't have much faith in unions, however they can be of service if you push them and remind them of your paid dues each fortnight.

I believe you can't be forced to travel anymore than a certain amount of km's from your home if your usual place of work is close; you'll have to check this point.

The main issue though, is submitting everything you can to your W/C claim interview with a report outlining each situation's outcome/unreasonable treatment, including policies/legislation/award as supporting documentation. The main point is not providing you with a safe and bully free workplace. It may also include discrimination (being isolated or treated differently to others) and causing your reputation, money etc to be affected.

The best tactic is to keep putting the ball back in their court. Write brief's or dot point info, include a list of documents on the intro page and read/research everything you can. Continue to put it back on them until they give you some ammo to go external.

You get more flies with honey than vinegar! Sickly sweet is the way to go. I sent my boss a really nice email playing the 'helpless' victim saying I was frightened by his threat to sack me and asking for advice, and he wrote back admitting it!!

That email is my saving grace. I went thru it for 7 yrs! Then my brain broke. That's why I'm here.

I'm sorry if this is fragmented, it's nearly 2am and it's time for bed. I'll check in tomorrow on you guys.

Nigh-night...Sara

(Used to be called Dizzy - had a name change)

Thanks for your reply Sara....

Given that I am a single father of 4 children, aged 10,8,5, and 21 months and my care arrangements require me to be available at 3.30pm, the Doctor wrote a letter and also wrote the following on a WorkCover Cert.....

Fit for full duties, can only work in a school within an 8km radius from home.

There are several schools that fall within this radius.

I expect the Dept will argue the point, but they wont be arguing with me, at least they are arguing with medical opinion now.

Just wondering.....Has anyone ever used the Freedom of Information Act to obtain emails written about them ?

I am sure there would be evidence of collusion (and bullying) if one was to examine email records from

Principal to DP

Principal to Head Teacher

DP to Principal

Principal to EPAC

EPAC to Principal

After reading the Freedom of Information Act page it seems like this would be a relatively easy process to undertake.

Government Department, obligated to hand over all documents ...... thoughts ?