FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Son & his family want to stay with us until he finds another house. Worried about how to deal with this given our situation.

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

As discussed on other threads I have been struggling with anxiety,  depression & exhaustion while caring for my husband who is blind & has a chronic illness which has led to frequent episodes of illness. In desperation I rang for help last week & arranged for a carer to assist so I could go away for a couple of days on a family camp over Easter. Unfortunately I developed a stomach bug so haven't been well since coming home on Sunday so fatigue is still a major problem. My husband has gone away for 5 nights with MDA & I promised I would try to rest & recover while he is away.

Today my son rang to say they had to move out of their house on Friday & have nowhere to live so can they stay with us. We downsized a few years ago due to my husband's condition so there is little room for 2 adults & a 2yr old & 11mth old. I feel like I'm in a no win situation. If I say no they have nowhere to live so I'm a terrible parent. My son also has a history of depression & has only recently started work again after a long period of being too unwell to work & being suicidal. If I agree to have them I can't rely on them to stick to any agreements. DIL is good at promising but never follows through. I find her very stressful. She yells at her son frequently which I find upsetting. They are both very messy & I would find it hard to prepare meals due to her mess. Having them here will also make it impossible to keep the house in a suitable state to ensure my husband's safety given his blindness.  Tiredness tends to lead to my husband becoming ill putting extra pressure on me. I don't know what to do.  

75 Replies 75

Hoorah!

Very happy for you and them. You will hopefully be able to rest easier soon then.

Happy for you xx

Wonderful news Elizabeth. I'm so pleased for all concerned. Finally some peace and normality to return to your life!

Sherie xx

topsy_
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Oh that's great news Elizabeth! I'm so pleased for you & your husband. Life can get back to normal & you can enjoy the peace & quiet & have access to all your home.

You should give yourself a huge pat on the back! You did it!! Well done!

Take care, Lyn.

Hi Elizabeth,

I hope you can now kick back, relax (in spite of the clean-up) and enjoy your week-end. Please give yourself a well-deserved break !

I have just stopped for a late lunch. My DIL picked up the rest of their stuff, paid the board I asked for & returned the key. I have cleaned most of my house just have the kitchen, laundry & study to finish & the backyard. I started with my bedroom as it was the easiest so it gave me the motivation to keep going. I spent much longer than needed on my bedroom & living areas because I wanted them to feel really fresh & clean like a fresh start. (They didn't use my bedroom or ensuite it was just me wanting everything extra clean.)

We are going away next week for a few days now we can leave the house without worrying about the consequences. It is nice to have my life back.

topsy_
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Enjoy your "new" home Elizabeth & your time away. You've earnt it.