FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My sister has stopped talking to me

gloria10
Community Member

Hi. I'm looking for some advice to deal with my sister, who has recently stopped talking to me. We have never really been super close, but have still stayed in contact every few months as we know family is important.

Recently, she started to get a bit hostile towards me and argued over little things, I felt I was walking on eggshells. If I tried to reach out to her she wouldn't answer my calls. I understand people get busy, but I get the feeling it's more than that.

It's not a nice feeling getting the silent treatment and I'm left feeling quite drained at times. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing and how you approached it?

Many thanks,

Gloria10

11 Replies 11

Purple4
Community Member

Thankyou for this post. Although my situation is different just reading 'my sister has stopped talking to me' made me feel slightly less alone.

My sister is 11 years younger than me so I was her caregiver in her younger years while our parents worked. I felt more like a mother to her than a sister as the generation gap felt huge.

I find it very difficult to talk about as Ive been hurt so deeply.

About 9 years ago I lost my husband, friends, family and a few months later my sister wanted me to die. I still to this day do not know the true story and found it easier to say to myself that she must have been on drugs and isn't responsible for her actions.

My sister claimed my then husband sexually assaulted her and she turned violent and full of hate. She was like my husbands daughter too so this was a very confusing time. My husband left me and was convicted in court. Shortly after my sister directed hate towards me and accused me of horrendous things. This behaviour was so bizarre and I knew she was abusing prescription medication at the time so I made excuses for her behaviour. She would publicly degrade me on social media and send hateful text messages telling me to die. My family kept us apart so I have never had the opportunity to confront her face to face. I realised she lied about the so called sexual assult which resulted in my divorce and my husband being labeled a sexual predator.

My grandfathers funeral was 2years ago and I knew she would be there. My father told me not to hassle her which insulted me. No one ever cared about what she had done to me. Just a few days ago she was back in town and I told my parents I wanted to see her. My sister refused and I stayed away.

This made me feel so weak and angry. Why should she be protected after all she has done.

I know I will never find peace or understand why she chose to destroy my life.

All I can suggest to you is to just try and enjoy the moments you do have with your sister. I know it sucks and it isn't fair.

In a perfect world we could sit down and communicate with our family members and resolve issues. My definition of family is unconditional love but sadly my sister sees things differently.

I wish you well xx

Guest_3878
Community Member

Hy Gloria,

I have similar experience like you. I am the youngest sibling and my brothers don’t get along with me. We live in a different countries. I haven’t spoken with my elder brother since 2 years. I confronted him one time how he is a bad person. He blocked me and unblocked me. It’s funny how he hurts my feeling and thinks i need to talk to him the usual hello hi drama. Sometimes blood relationships gets cancer on it, so it’s better to left behind. So don’t feel guilty because trust me some people are selfish although we group on same roof.

Just love yourself and stay happy.