FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lovely husband, but I have fallen for someone else

TuffCookie
Community Member

I have been married for almost 5 years to a loving and caring husband. But for a few years, I have been feeling that I do not love him the same way he does me, and that we are two very different people. We could both do better. I have felt this for a while now but haven’t really put too much thought into it.

Until recently, I bumped into someone I had feelings for a few years ago and I felt the feelings were back. We spoke briefly and he also confessed that he has feelings for me too, but we have to forget about it because I’m married. 

I am now hating myself for feeling this way, especially since my husband is a lovely person. I feel I’m a horrible person, I don’t want to hurt him but I also don’t want to stay. However, I feel he deserves better. 

Has anyone been in a similar situation and what did they do about it? 

3 Replies 3

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

Well I have not been in your position, but i hope you don't mind my replying ...

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing such conflicting emotions in your marriage. It can be incredibly challenging to grapple with feelings of disconnect and the resurgence of past emotions for someone else.

Firstly, be kind to yourself and avoid labeling yourself as a horrible person. Feelings can evolve and change over time, and it doesn't necessarily make you a bad person for experiencing these emotions. It takes courage to acknowledge and address these feelings. It is concerning enough for you to post here.

If I may ask ... what happened or what areas of disconnect or differences that have contributed to this change?

whether you answer that question here or not, might help you work out a way forward. Perhaps talking with your husband about your feelings may help shed light on the situation and allow for a deeper understanding between the two of you.

If you're unsure about your future and whether your marriage can be rekindled, consider seeking professional help. You have the right to feel fulfilled and loved in your relationship. Whatever path you choose, approach it with honesty, compassion, and respect for yourself and your partner?

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi TuffCookie

Smallwolf has offered such deeply thoughtful and caring acknowledgement and advice. I wholeheartedly agree with not feeling bad about how you feel. Personally, I find my feelings to be so telling, therefor I like to question them when the really questionable ones come up from time to time.

Having been married for just over 21 years, I've often questioned my relationship with my husband, especially in the latter years. Took a long time to realise...while it was easy to see what brought us together or attracted us to each other, not at all easy to see a lot of thing things that gradually come to separate us in a lot of ways. The little things aren't always obvious.

When my husband and I met, we were great drinking buddies. We'd go to work then reconnect, drink, sit and watch tv or visit friends who also drank a bit. When I came out of long term depression at 35, I suddenly stopped drinking (as it got in the way of me being able to feel life in a lot of natural ways). In hindsight, I think this is when we began to separate. While he remained a creature of habit, I began longing for a greater sense of adventure, future goal setting/vision etc. While I began to wonder about all the things that could lead us to evolve beyond what was comfortable, he remained someone who loved his comfort zone. When I came across my ex fiance from years back (through social media), I felt what I hadn't felt in years. I felt excitement, joy, a longing to come to life in greater ways, largely because he was always someone who loved evolving through difference and challenges. He was always someone who loved to feel excitement and adding ventures to life (adventuring). He triggered me to remember my natural self and that was an attractive thing. Nothing happened between us. I thought it best to break contact but it really woke me up to what was missing in my life and who I wanted to be. It was my wake up call.

Another factor that came into question involved why I don't love my husband the way he loves me. My daughter helped wake me up to this one. In mentioning 'Love languages', she said 2 people can have completely different love languages. While my husband's is physical touch (he's a real hugger, borderline smotherer), mine is acts of service.  For example, if someone I know is deeply depressed, I will work full time to raise them in every possible way yet only hug them if that is exactly what they need more than anything else. Then I will fully embrace them with every ounce of my being. My husband's almost the opposite. Sometimes he thinks hugging is enough.

Different love languages, the need for more excitement, a sense of gradual separation, the need to question...whatever it is we'll feel it. When the feelings become so strong to the point we're we can no longer ignore them, we'll feel that. I figure, when the serious questioning begins, so does the quest for greater understanding. It's often our feelings that wake us up to the quest.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello TuffCookie, if you want this other person, then much is going to harm you and your husband and what you may have achieved along the way, because this infatuation with this other person may not be more than lasting a couple of days and then your marriage could then be broken up.

Everybody has an inclination to like someone else or is attracted towards another person, I'm sure this happen to the majority of people, but that's as far as it goes.

If you and husband need to respice your marriage then now is the time to do it, because if you decide to be with this other person, then possibly the same situation may happen again with him.

I would concentrate on improving the relationship with your husband, because people don't want to marry for a couple of years and then move on, then why do they get married.

Sorry,

Geoff.

Life Member.