FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Announcement Icon
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

I don't want to talk to my ex.

be_yourself
Community Member

I left my ex husband this year. He's been emotionally abusive. He once hit me back in 2020. We have a beautiful children together and they live with me. I chose not to talk to him at all as he's emotionally abusive and very manipulative, compulsive liar. I tried to set up a mediation but he's not willing to do. Now he tried to speak to me over the phone but I refused as I didn't want to hear anything coming out from his mouth and didn't want to be abused. I thought he could just text me if he has anything to say to me. He says that this was a proof of me not to willing to discuss any issues about our children because I refused to speak to him over the phone. I am so feeling sick of him. Mentally shattered. I don't believe that I had to speak to him, did I?!?!?? I am allowed to not to engage with him, aren't I? I don't want to go through this traumatic abuse.

3 Replies 3

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

You are allowed to set boundaries and not engage with someone who is manipulative and toxic. But he will do what a manipulative and toxic person does and try his hardest to get you engaged, which is what he’s doing here. Because while you’re engaged you’re emotionally tied to the situation and him. If text is what makes you feel comfortable then only communicate via that, it is a perfectly acceptable form of communication. 

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi be_yourself

You are an amazing person and an amazing parent who has managed to do something that always amazes me. You have found the ability and courage to leave what can feel like a soul destroying situation, which can be far from easy to do in a lot of cases, for a lot of different reasons.

I believe you've made an excellent choice when it comes to not speaking with him without a mediator (aka witness to his behaviour). The next channel of communication you offered is written, which he doesn't want to accept. So, in fairness, you've given him two choices, both which he has knocked back because he wants his own way for some reason. Can't help but wonder whether he doesn't want to go down the path of written communication based on the possibility he doesn't want anything in writing that can come back to bite him. Verbal communication without a witness means he can freely say whatever he wants. In my opinion, you're managing things carefully and perfectly, something you should be taking a lot of pride in.

How to deal with someone's 'stomach churning' or 'gut wrenching' behaviour is definitely a challenge. I've found throwing a 'because' into a statement can make a huge difference that can lead us to trust our feelings more. Instead of 'I'm sick of you', it becomes 'I'm sick because of you'. Then it becomes a feeling we can begin to trust. Every time you feel sick, you know something's worth questioning. Taking it up next level can sound like 'Which part of me or facet of me do I need to come to life in order to manage such sickening behaviour?'. I smile when I say 'The intolerant cow' in me is a ripper. While I can be the most compassionate, gentle and deeply loving gal, there are certain people who will trigger the intolerant cow in me to come to life. This aspect of me is a serious questioner at times and can be confrontational. Can sound like 'Why do you feel you have the right to treat me like cr**?!'. When this aspect of me comes to life, 'The people pleaser' in me must take a back seat, otherwise I find myself trying to please people who treat me poorly. Not a good practice. The cow in me can be a feisty, upstanding warrior type and a natural self esteem booster. Bringing it to life on command is definitely a tough challenge at times, especially when the people pleaser in us has been our 'go to' facet for so long. The intolerant cow will often announce its presence through uprising feelings of anger. Btw, if it comes to life along with our inner sage, this can sound like a ranting maniac accompanied by the words 'Give yourself the freedom to feel anger but do not burn bridges right now. Best to save that for later if the need arises'. 🙂

If he has always relied on leading you to self doubt as one of his ways of managing, there'll be a part of you that holds no doubt at all. Finding that part of you and practicing channeling it on command will be something that I imagine he'll come to find extremely challenging. Perhaps that part of you has come to life on occasion in the past. Do you recall feeling it?

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello be_yourself, you have done the right thing, in leaving him and not wanting to talk with him, because you aren't sure what he will say back to you and that's certainly what you don't want.

As he has been emotionally and physically abusive to you, the chances of this happening again are on the cards, and he's not willing to do anything you have suggested and seems as though it's all for him or nothing.

You have done exactly what you should have, protecting not only yourself but also the kids.

I know that Anglicare can provide a house/flat with furniture that no one knows where you are, and a suggestion is to destroy your sim card and only give your new phone number to people you know won't give away the phone number, other friends just say to them you will contact them by public phone etc.

You need to now look after yourself and the kids, with the priority that the fewer people know the better.

Geoff.

Life Member.