FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Gf broke up with me cause of her studies

Rete
Community Member

Me and my gf have been together for 2 yrs and things have been going great. We are both girls btw. This is my first relationship and I really thought she was the one. 2 wks ago she decided that it’s best we separate, she said she is choosing her studies over a relationship. I kept asking her how is that a reasonable explanation to break up and then she told me she doesn’t want to be the breadwinner. Then I just bursted and I wrote to her how she is so selfish etc and how she promised to always love me and we will be together forever. I found out today she deleted all our pics on her Instagram.

At the time she broke up with me she said that we could remain friends but after I lashed out she blocked me. I don’t know what to do now, I want to be with her. I have no friends at all and she was the only one to keep me company and now she is gone I have been crying everyday.

I don’t understand her reasoning? Why did she suddenly break up with me out of the blue? Is she really happy now that I’m not in her life?

11 Replies 11

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Rete,

I have just read your posts and my heart goes out to you. Relationships are so wonderful and the best when they go well but when one person wants out, it hits you like a brick and you feel you will never get over this and feel better one day.

I think you may need time to grieve the loss of the relationship . Geoff has given you support and helpful suggestions.

I am also interested in what things you like doing during the day.

Quirky

LeopardLilly
Community Member

Hi Rete,

I honestly do sympathise with your situation but mine was a lot less impactful. I liked a guy for two years on and off and he did too, and two days before school began we began dating. I was over the moon. But then the night before school began, after our first date he broke up with me because he couldn't handle school and a relationship.

It's really random and you wonder why they suddenly decided that they studies were more important, it impacted my well-being horrifically and I cried non-stop. But then I asked him recently why he did it all, and he didn't know. Sometimes people simply do things because they feel like it, and they aren't worth it. The best thing to do is try to communicate more with the people you do know and look at the relationship as a learning experience.

The girl you dated must also be upset so try to be a little empathetic and give her some time, maybe she will change her mind too. Distance is a good way to realise how much you love someone, and good things will happen to you too!