FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Disowning a family member

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

This is by far the most difficult thread I've ever written. Finally after using my heart as my guide all my life, my head is taking over in order to save myself from serious longer term harm.

And that's the reason for this thread- limiting grief and moving forward.

Blood is an attachment that cant be described. As children our parents are our life, our security, our nurturing. We never expect to disown them. Our own children is what we created, we protect, we feed, we devote...we never expect to disown them.

How far do you proceed with a family member when the relationship is unworkable? If it is unworkable how long do you endure any toxicity before you enter a self protection/preservation mode? Forever? Some of us presume so. Or we live in hope that it will work out one day.

An example-

My first wife used silence as a very effective hurtful weapon. It isn't easy describing the feeling of being ineffective with combatting it. I divorced her in 1996. Only recently did I stumble on the reason why it is used as a weapon and what you can do about it.

Google

Silent Treatment: Preferred Weapon of People with Narcissism

So, one of my daughters is 26yo and since she was 14yo she has showed strong traits of this. She lived with her mother and I had her for visitations every second weekend and holidays. Obviously her mother had a strong influence on her and that has been on display every time her and I have communication. Every two years or so my daughter re-enters my life to create havoc. At first its fine, we talk (only on Facebook messenger as that gives her control to block me if she so desires) then after a couple of weeks of great communication - she is gone! no contact. Why?

Control. My daughter is in control of when she communicates. She is well aware of the hurt she inflicts.

Recently I developed that attitude, now for the hard bit- getting on with my life with people that love and adore me.

PS I recently read the following phrases-

• Not every time losing a person in your life - is a loss
  • I believe that Narcissists deserve our compassion, but compassion does not involve giving them permission to hurt other people or overlooking any damage that they do.” “I am a recovering narcissist. I thought narcissism was about self-love till someone told me there is a flip side to it.
  • I'm not weak, I was trusting.
  • I'm not giving up, I'm healing.
  • There is life after narcissistic abuse, Hold On!

TonyWK

31 Replies 31

Great replies.

No problem straying off topic everyone.

I think it's very natural for parents to blame themselves. But as Paul pointed out, and has happened to us, your child can be programmed to dislike you. Their dislike has been embedded most of their lives.

In my case I've felt sorry for my daughter hoping she'll see the error of her ways, she'll see without my input how her behabiour is narcissistic snd a mirror image of her mothers by using silence as a tool to crush me. But alas, parental love provides a lot of leniency. ..and false hope.

This constant forgiveness has its limits before one has to cut the ties. As someone on Quora forum suggested on narcissism- "I'm stopping all contact with you unless you seek help specifically for.......(in my case using silence as a weapon)if you do then I'll support you"

Knowing she'll never get help such inaction is the key that locks the door on hope.

TonyWK

Has any of you members disowned or been disowned by family? I'd be very interested in how you coped.

TonyWK