Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Alcoholic son

Community Member
Don't know if I am in the right area but my son who is 50 is an alcoholic. He lives with us and causes us such stress as he calls us all sorts of names. He has not been violent but can be very abusive. We took him in several years ago after his wife left him and he had no where to go. I have asked many times for him to leave but he just ignores me. He has been having treatment for PTS for many years but there has been no improvement. The doctor just keeps giving him more and more heavy drugs. I don't know what to do.
3 Replies 3

Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi i can imagine how hard it is for you.To have your son abusing you would be heart breaking.Alcohol can be such a damaging thing for a person and changes them.It sound like your son has been going through a lot with his wife leaving him and struggling with PTS.I think he really needs to see AA and he needd to want to get help.It really isnt fair on you and you need to be able to enjoy your life.

Hi Clare,

I can understant it can be very frustrating. However you need to communicate to him clearly through an appropriate way that this attitude wont be tolerated.

I would suggest try changing your approach towards him

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
This is going to sound harsh, and I'm sorry for that. But it's time to get the police involved. If you have asked him to leave, and he refuses, that means he is trespassing. It may mean criminal charges against him. It's not okay for him to treat you in this way.