Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Announcement Icon
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

A Call for help and advice

Community Member

Can my daughter, aged 12, access free counselling? She lives with her mum and their relationship is strained at the moment.

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

She could visit her school counselor?

She could leave home and stay with you temporarily or permanently

She could stay with a relative

She can ask her mother if she can see a GP and get a referral

I hope that helps.


Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Steve69,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your post.

TonyWK has given a few ideas. Particularly the school counselling one as this is super common in schools even though most people aren't aware of it.

With the referral, I'll just add a bit more detail there. It's called a Mental Health Care Plan, and allows for 10 visits per calendar year. They are either subsidised (so they're cheaper), or they're free, depending on which psychologist you see.

The other option that you can try is Headspace, which is for people aged 12-25. You can go here for more information -


Hope this helps,