FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

(Trigger Warning) Upcoming Trial is sending PTSD in overdrive

Charleey
Community Member

In September 2015 I was the Victim in an Assault with an illegal weapon and Detainment case. The defendant is my Ex- partner of 9 years to whom I was at the time 12 weeks pregnant. He was arrested and placed in prison, I miscarried the baby. By Christmas he was out on bail. We have had no contact since this time.

Fast forward to now he is living locally to me ( against bail conditions) with his new partner who is having his baby. The people around him believe me to be a liar despite there being enough evidence for the case to have been committed to trial ( DNA etc). Since his release My Ex-partner has taken out Credit Cards and Bank Accounts in my name, the police could not prove it was him.

Since the assault happened I have done everything I can to try to move on with my life, I have completed two courses and am currently completing another. In spite of all this, the trial is coming up this year and I find myself suffering panic attacks and depression similar to those I suffered in the weeks after the Assault. I feel like a complete failure while he is living happily with his new partner and child.

Can anybody offer any advice on how I can cope with all of this?

1 Reply 1

Nikkir
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Charleey,

I am so sorry to hear that things have been so difficult for you, it sounds like you have been through so much and it must be really hard to see this person out of prison and starting a new life right near you:( I think the first thing to realise is that you have really been through so much, it is no wonder you feel fragile and depleted of energy and lost for direction, anyone would. It is good that you have tried to keep busy and move forward despite the obvious constant reminders you have around you of your ex. I would recommend if not already to see your GP and get a referral for Mental Health plan to have support and of course ring us on 1300 22 4636 or connect online anytime. In my experience and from when I have seen people around me experience traumatic events the best thing to do is minimise the exposure to this ( i know its hard if your ex lives near you) but I mean disconnect with facebook and social media where you can see this person and try to minimise contact with any mutual friends and develop new interests for yourself. Do things that you love to do and spend time with people who are good for you and company you enjoy. I have to admit when I have been stuck in trauma or ruminating about a situation I like to actually get away. Sometimes interstate or even a weekend retreat or visit people where there is different scenery and try to create a new routine and new memories for yourself. I know this must be so so hard for you and I can't imagine how you must feel but know that I am thinking of you and our team is here to help in any way we can. Wishing you all the best Nikkir x