FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Self-help Methods for CPTSD

CKS
Community Member

Hi everyone

I am new to Beyond Blue. I am very sympathetic about all of us who have suffered childhood abuse and trauma. I have regular visits with my psychiatrist who i have been seeing for over 7 years. I have also attended many groups sessions and one on one counselling, but sometimes its still not enough to remedy how i feel. I am wondering if anyone has developed any of their own self-help methods to heal the memories and hurts about their childhood trauma. Living with the symptoms of anger and addiction are horrendous. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thankyou

11 Replies 11

Bear1922
Community Member

Honestly, the only self-help methods I've learnt have been given to me by my psychologist.

I guess my natural curiosity & tendency to research may be construed as self-help.

Resilience & a good sense of humour have also helped.

Wishing you God speed on your journey to recovery from CPTSD.

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi CKS,

Thank you for your post and it sounds like you're working really hard to manage your trauma; I think it's a very resilient trait to be so committed to something so difficult.

Bear1922 made a really good point; have you thought about asking your counsellor or psychiatrist for some self-help ideas?

A couple of the things that's helped me personally are things such as journalling, mindfulness, meditations, gratitude journalling and reading self-help books. Just to clarify too; the mindfulness can be incorporated in day to day stuff (i.e. washing dishes), not necessarily sitting down. I think self-care in general is also self-help; trying to practice healthy coping skills, sleep, getting outside, chatting with people, etc. Also - just finding things that I enjoy or trying to get lost in something - anything that really takes your mind away from everything else.

While some of this stuff helps me in general, I know there's really good research around some self-help books, as well as journalling and mindfulness.

Hope this helps. I'd be interested to know what you find or what works for you.

RT

Thank you for your posts

Thank you for your posts romantic-thi3f and Bear1922.

Yes i do the kind of things that you listed romantic, thank you. I have also done a lot of writing and take it a step further by writing poems about things. Not that i am a great poet, i just find that the extra time that it takes me to write a poem, the more time i spend in touch with my emotions, my troubles, my successes , my soul. The following poem I wrote after being diagnosed with CPTSD, and my psychiatrist told me I was brave. I can't begin to tell you how important I felt. My self-esteem went through the roof!

My parents fought all the time
My father beat my mother ferociously
So much violence and abuse there was
Oh, it was such a crime

My mother’s heart and body were just so weak
She did not have it in her to oppose
She needed a soldier to fight for her
She needed a soldier to protect her
I was the one she chose

I tried the best I could
I was so very frightened
But I never shirked away
I was always courageous along the way

I would try to sleep
But reoccurring nightmares would come
People fighting there would be
I only wished they’d leave me be

I felt so angry at my father
I felt helpless as a child
I felt so responsible for my mummy
I was so brave and yet so wild

I was brave when I went into battle
I would punch and kick and tackle
I was so brave
I was so very brave

I was but a brave little girl
Who heard and saw terrible things
I was but a brave little girl
Who fought for others’ sins

Many years after
Therapy did come
And I was shined upon
Shined upon with three words of gallantry:
‘You were brave’ were the words that set me free

There is no longer a stigma
About how angry and violent I had become
I am a soldier who has medals of bravery

I am respected among my peers
I have no need for any more tears

The memories may never leave me

But the pride I now have

About the brave little girl that I was

Shall never leave me.

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi CKS,

Thank you for sharing your poem; I feel really honoured that you wanted to share something so personal with me (and the forum!).

I'm going to be totally honest with you; I actually read your poem yesterday but I couldn't respond because it moved me so much that I didn't have any words. You said that you're not a great poet, but your poem tells me otherwise! I even got a bit teary 🙂

Your psychiatrist is right, you are brave. But what's more, is that I see you were brave as a kid and brave as an adult for writing and getting in touch with those hard emotions. Personally it's been so difficult to see myself as a little girl in my trauma, let alone have compassion for her sometimes - but to see the way you write about your little girl shows me how far you've come with your CPTSD.

RT

Thankyou for your kind words RT.

I hope you get the urge to write a poem and experience the healing power of your own words.

Take care CKS

CKS
Community Member

Hi @Bear1922

Yes I find research very helpful. The more I have learnt about CPTSD and addiction and depression, the more i can control the symptoms. Information is power!

Thanks

CKS

CKS
Community Member

Hi everyone

I mustn't have worded my my original post effectively, I was wondering if anyone had created any of their own self-help methods? I have been working on a few since my diagnosis nearly four years ago. I will be including them in my book.

Looking forward to new ideas.

Kind regards

CKS

Desedrata
Community Member

-Remind myself that I am good so, there for there must be other good people out there.

-Test yourself and society when you are away from your antagonisers. I did this by simply asking someone to put something in another room for me. This may seem silly to some but I braced myself for verbal and possible physical abuse. I was pleasantly surprised when the person reponded with a kind manner and did as I requested. It is okay to ask for help when you need it.

- I have a mantra. "Calm blue ocean" Any words that make you feel relaxed can be used.

- Recite the Desedrata. You can google it.

-Remind myself when ever I start thinking of suicide again, that I have already done the worst possible thing to myself. There is nothing left that anyone can do to me that I haven't already done to myself.

-Brush your teeth and shower and wash your hair. Clean teeth, skin and hair make you feel better and clean hair is easier to detangle.

-Make lists and set alarms to remind you of things that need doing this includes eatting. Reintroducing food to an already termoil tummy is extra stress you don't need. Also keep a bottle or cariff of water by the bed.

-Watch ten minutes of a comedy before bed. It helps reduce nightmares or listen to a meditation tape whilst in bed.

-Listen to music that makes you feel good.

-Invest in exercise dvds, hand weights and a stretchband.

-Keep canned food, frozen meals, tuna meal sachets and coconut water in stock so, when you really go down and are not physically up to standing or functioning for long periods you still have food and stay well hydrated. Avoid energy drinks, soda and cordial.

-Invest in a good quality pillow and mattress.

-Start the day with a Berocca.

-If you can bare being touched get a relaxation massage. It took a long time before I would do this one but human contact is important.

- Everyone needs different levels of human interaction. I find just talking for two minutes once every three months with someone keeps the paranoia from setting in.

-Air your home regularly and keep your bedding clean. Sprinkle talc on your mattress before putting the sheets on to make it smell pretty and help relax you.