FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling down due to fatigue & undiagnosed health issues

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I haven't been using the forums much apart from a couple of responses to others posts. I stopped as I was too busy & trying to keep up with the forums was becoming too stressful. In September My husband went to Europe which was great although tiring due to the pace of the tour we did. Unfortunately a few days before returning home I fell heavily on concrete steps hurting my right side. I continued on relying on icepacks to manage the pain. I couldn't sleep because of the pain when lying down. The last day I came down with a bad cold which developed into a chest infection later on. The pain eased after 6 weeks & I recovered from the chest infection but have ongoing problems with fatigue & abdominal discomfort. My GP arranged pathology tests. The blood tests are normal but urine isn't. Today I was sent for a ultrasound of kidneys & bladder. Next week I have a gastroscopy & colonoscopy. My stress levels seem to be escalating out of proportion each time I see the GP & get sent for more tests. Prior to my accident my mental health issues were settling down but the last week it is much worse. I have lost my temper a few times in the last week without much provocation. This is not normal for me. I have been on a diet for several months but I am now finding it really hard to stick to it I just want to go & eat food I know will make me feel worse. The diet is a healthy one which I normally find easy to stick to because the food is satisfying.

I just want to get back on track & feel in control of my life & not feel so stressed & down. I also feel guilty for feeling this way because There is no confirmation of a serious illness.

974 Replies 974

I have set some goals with my psych to push myself to do some things which I've been avoiding for a long time (years) This is triggering quite a bit of anxiety but I need to push myself so I can experience some successas constantly avoiding things even unintentionally has made things worse.

I planned to camp in the bush this Friday for 3 days with my husband. I haven't camped in the summer for 15 years since having to return home from a camping trip due to fires in the area. I chose this time because the weather is predicted to be cool so I should be safe. Unfortunately knowing it should be safedoesn't stop the fear.

Just to complicate things my husband saw the GP today & is on both anti viral & antibiotics for 2 separate infections. this may stop us going.

Today has been hot and I've struggled to cope at all.

Hi Elizabeth good seeing you I've been wondering how you're going and then the other day here you are ☺

Fantastic setting goals. I feel relief knowing a lot of people suffer the same drawbacks. Although that has a morbid tone to it 😆 comforting knowing we're not alone in our MH stops. It's so hard doing isn't it but when we do theres a great accomplishment to enjoy.

I think still be proud of yourself because either way you got it organised to go camping. You're pushing through fear as well.

Poor hubby doesn't sound that he's in a good way. Hope the biotics help.

Hope your days are having some bright spots in them.

I'm not a lover of heat either. Online dah having trouble what they're called..could be cobbers but they go around your neck and some reaction with the thingys in it cools us down. I've heard good reports about them. Dont know now but they were $25.

Leaving a pretty Rose on a gorgeous multi coloured vase.

Just feed it with happy comments and memories and watch it flourish.

Have a good day Elizabeth ☺

Thank you DB for the virtual flowers & the lovely supportive comments.

Went back to GP & hubby was improving. Antibiotics fixed the infection in foot thank goodness. The viral infection turned out to be a misdiagnosis so that is OK. Hubby decided after seeing the GP & then trying on shoes he could tolerate them so he wanted to go camping. Deciding so late made it a rush for me to pack. We couldn't put the trip off a few days because of other appointments.

I didn't prepare as well as I needed and then the weather turned cold & wet so didn't feel like camping in summer. Trouble is hubby can't cope with cold so we only stayed one night. Didn't really give me the chance to achieve what I wanted.

I'm struggling with feeling really tired & depressed. Over the last few days my husband has been really tired & displaying some of the really bad symptoms of his condition. This is increasing my level of anxiety.

Hi everyone ☺

You're very welcome Elizabeth I'm glad to have finally made it here.
Wanted to support you a long time ago.

Wow some good things going on which can certainly throw some light which we so need in hard times.
Yip sounds good hubbies diagnosis was a mis. Big relief the foot healing I bet.

What a shame the camping didn't work out.
Though it didn't I'm seeing a lot of positive there in that under pressure you got yourselves organised and packed in a short time and you went which was hard for you. A couple of good achieves I'd say. Well done lovey. Maybe the goals could be achieved when the weathers better and your feeling brighter poor soul.

Ahh doesn't at all sound easy I'm sorry hun hearing some of hubbies worse aspects unleash at times that'd be very hard on you. Not at all good having that to cope with. I don't know what and that's entirely up to you if you want to talk about but I can see it's not good.

Hope you're unwinding somewhat after a big rush like that it must have been unsettling. That also adds to poor sleep. Our main strengths in enough sleep. It's our biggest energy I'd say.

Have you been doing any walking or exercise lately?
I enjoyed Shells walking/exercise thread but for yonks my feet and back have stopped me.
I use to hear of your walks they were good reading.
I've read your posts at various times on other threads and always liked what and how you say.

Take care and remember nice big deep breaths especially in anxiety hun. The oxygen we need circulating.

I hope you can manage some decent sleep. It makes a huge difference to our MH. Poor lady depression/anxiety make it hard to have pleasure don't they.

When you're anxious by focusing on the tasks at hand works as a good diversion.
What also helps is not allowing more thought on how you're feeling which is hard because it's consuming isnt it but that's a key to managing too.

I find if you talk yourself through it that you're feeling blaghh so what you need is to do is the breathing only focusing on that and knowing it'll eventually pass. Kinda calm yourself and take charge in recovery.

Distraction you probs know can be of great help.
Focus on anything. A flower a colour, sound maybe a birdy or scent looking at an object etc.

Hope there's something that can make your day nice darl you do deserve goods ☺

Hi DB Yes unsure when we can try camping again. it is difficult fitting in between appointments & weather considerations and when hubby is well enough. We are in the process of getting various tests (which can be invasive) so the surgeon can decide if it is safe & worthwhile operating on my husband. We went through this process several years ago only to be advised against surgery. Now we are back because the risks of managing as we are are very high so it makes the risks of surgery more worth taking but the process is very stressful. It is hard seeing him choking & coughing & wondering if he will end up seriously ill in hospital as a result. Cold weather & even minor illness or feeling tired makes him very susceptible to these complications. At the same time he wants to live as normal a life as possible when he is well.

I haven't done as much walking as I was I feel like I'm pulled in all directions and I am so tired most of the time.

I hope you are doing OK.

Saw my psych today. I need to write a list of ideas to do when it is really hot and try doing them even if just to take my mind off the fact it is outside.

Elizabeth

just wanted to say hello . I read this thread but don’t often post. I like the way that you keep going despite obstacles. Your posts are so honest and informative. You give an insight to how people are trying to cope and what challenges you face.

Writing a list of ideas on what to do on a hot day sounds like a good idea.

Thank you Quirky

I am feeling very stressed. My husband went in yesterday for a test which was very intrusive & confronting to see him struggling to cope with it. The nurse doing the test was fine. It was just the nature of the test that was hard. After that test a thinner tube was passed down his throat and remains there for 24 hrs. It is attached to a machine which records what is happening in his oesophagus. We have to record the time and nature of any symptoms, when & what he eats, when he lies down or gets up. Because he is blind I have to do the recording & remind him which button to press. Times need to be exact to the second but that is impossible because it takes time for him to tell me what is happening & for me to go over and read the time. I have noticed he has pressed the wrong button at times because he can't see and he isn't thinking & reacting normally because of the effects of the first test. I know I can only do my best but I'm concerned that the results won't be accurate enough to give the surgeon a good picture of what is happening which may impact on the decision whether to operate or not. Having to be close to him constantly is also difficult as I'm constantly alert even in bed.

I know noone can fix the problem. I'm just venting!!!!

Hi Elizabeth Quirky and everyone ☺
Just want you to know deary I'll be back hoping tomoz and have read your post you poor lady and hubby youse are having such a stressful worrying time.

In case I forget hun you may know about the anxiety thread but if not here's the link. Something I sincerely hope might gel with you poor lady.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/permalink/yRPiS7pztUKbUAhUav8cGw

Care and support good lady ⚘

Elizabeth and all hi

Wow you poor people going through such hard times it's not surprising your anxiety is so high. I feel so sorry for you.

If you'd like to google "Marconi Union" who in collaboration with music therapy can't think if experts but high in their field. The song is called " Weightless" it's or was voted the best music for anxiety.
It not only helps reduce Blood pressure pulse and anxiety by a high % around 65% Maybe more. (Cloudy head). I'd love you to get help with your anxiety Elizabeth.
Hopefully you have some coping skills.

Wondering in that near impossible situation for your poor hubby and you getting that all precise geez big ask tho great they have the machines it sounds incredibly hard to get accuracy. Just thinking with luck could a nurse or someone do a nightshift and help with recording episodes.

I wonder too if there'd be somewhere maybe like a sleep clinic or ? where people are monitored throughout the night to do what needs to be done.

Shame not being able to walk because of being so tired. It's really hard to do things when we're feeling that way.

In the past on a particular terribly dark down and in extreme exhaustion I went from the chair to the spare room for something.
That tiny effort and wow it was that it not only distracted me temporarily from the mental torture because we look around as we move it also bought on some much needed energy.
Since I heard here which came from I think it was Dr Kim on a thread that surprisingly in extreme tiredness movement does in fact promote energy. I can back that.
It was only a few metres but gave me good temporary benefits.

Maybe that could help you lovey. A little squiz outside, slow walk around the house or 2/3 minutes outside to the fence gate or somewhere. Doesn't have to be far. Good ole babysteps.

Hold in there dear lady and hubby. Such hard times. It's so unfair.

Apologies for such a long time replying. I started this but have been struggling tho with many light moments too with poor Physical and mental health.

Always hoping for better times good lady.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I've taken so long to answer. I went away for a short holiday to get a break. It started well with lovely time with my daughter and her family. I was nice to spend time with grandsons & see them really enjoying themselves. unfortunately the break turned into a literal one after I slipped on a rock & broke my wrist. I now feel really restricted.