FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Adult adhd

shayne w
Community Member

I was wondering how other adults who have been diagnosed in their early fifties like me, but probably have had adhd since childhood manage their condition ..? and what they have found to be the most challenging.?

6 Replies 6

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

I dont have ADHD, I'm 67yo. At 46yo however I was incorrectly diagnosed with ADHD. I's read a book by WEISS "ADHD in adults" and there was 4 cases he described one of which was a policeman in Los Angeles. I mirrored that cop and went to a dedicated psychiatrist to get treatment.

For 6 years I took various meds and none worked, I was then rediagnosed with bipolar. Bipolar, the mania side  mirrored ADHD symptoms so this made sense, on proper medication I've improved remarkably.

I think with mania I can draw parallels with your ADHD side, the fast walking/talking and over active mind. Some people can go 3 hours gardening a day or run 10kms and keep that mania at bay without meds but they are of the minority. Meds prescribed assist patients a lot. I also think that the most challenging aspect of these manic issues is on your partner or family. My wife, my carer monitors me for various things like sleep if I am tired she knows it more than I, and my behaviour changes for the worse so off to sleep I go. Getting frustrated again is a symptom she notices. 

With ADHD you could be accident prone and over reactive to situations like work politics or friends in conflict. Often illnesses cross over so I dont doubt I had some ADHD in me as some symptoms like buying and selling cars (I've owned 80+) and financially irresponsibility (in my younger days) were clear so you might want to seek psychological help to contain such urges.

It is of course like any mental health issue in that we need to grow insight and take precautions to aim at sneaking inside the boundaries of normality to survive healthily in society but not too much paranoia so we remain true to our character.

TonyWK

DifferentMe
Community Member

👋🏼@shanew I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 40. 20 years ago. I have been on medication ever since.

3 generations of my family have ADHD. 
It isn’t unusual to have ADHD and anxiety. It is also not uncommon to have the trifecta of ADHD, anxiety and dyslexia.

As you get older the medication is less effective because hormones decrease.

Thanks for you response .I agree and have experienced a lot of what you said .I started meds early last year

My main concerns are making new freinds and keeping the ones i have which is only 3 or 4 who i dont see very often .I end up spending alot of my time alone .I have a small family and they dont really want to know about my adhd lol. I have developed tools reminders e.tc.c to help me function on a daily level

Why are you so worried about making and keeping friends?

Well for me too much time alone ,not seeing anyway always leads to depression and then i just feel worse. At the moment i dont have many freinds left and not much family for support .So will have to try a new tactic.?

This is a very good thread and useful for members seeking answers to the struggles with ADHD.

I might point out Shayne that all mental health issues people have struggle making friends and also getting support from family members. It is clearly set out in page one of this thread-

They just wont understand, why? - Page 2 - Beyond Blue Forums - 172737

So expecting support from family and friends takes insight, understanding of mental illness, empathy and care. If these people cannot support you then it isnt their fault (unless selfishness is strong) so we have to seek support from our own people eg here where birds of a feather flock together.

Very interesting thread.

TonyWK