FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Robin fan

gravelly
Community Member
So sad about the genius Williams. Am new to this forum. I suffered severe depression last year, got better and stopped my meds in september 2013. Was great until a few weeks ago and noticed early relapse - poor sleep and appetite. Didn't want to go back on meds cos of side effects. I spoke to the only friend who knows what I was going through, and she recommended a book called 'The Apron and Napoleon's Hat', by Dr H.Murray. It's an ebook available on the ibook store and I think it's on Kindle and a few other e-readers. Brilliant!! If you like a bloody funny read about real and gross medical stuff, and more importantly, a book that tells mental illness like it really is and helps to remove the stigma written by someone who knows what he is talking about, read it and tell your friends. We need doctors like this who can genuinely relate. Feel much better now and without meds.
5 Replies 5

DaneSaysYay
Community Member

Hi there, i like what you said about doctors that can relate, it seams to me they are far and few between, well in my journey. but in saying that there are some great doctors i have met along the way, when they put down the doctors hat so to speak and talk man to man and off the record, you would be surprised what gems they come up with, especially good books and out of the square aproches to life,,,

anyway, great to hear of your success and feeling well at the moment, i was sadend by the passing of my favourite actor recently and really loved the movies with him showing a non comedic side eg bicentenial man,as a cyclist i hear of a ride in memorial and supporting beyond blue that i am keen to participate in..

take care 🙂

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi gravelly.

Welcome and thanks for sharing. Thanks for the book recommendation, no doubt they'll have heaps of people downloading it now.

My funniest experience with a Dr was going to a group therapy session run by a Psychiatrist. He spent 30 minutes talking about the effects of age and divorce on mental illness. He then stood up and left (1/2 hour early). Ironically the topic of the group was "How to get the most out of your Psychiatrist?" We all failed that round.

I'm glad to hear you're travelling well. You might even like to write some replies to other members. No doubt they will be inspired by your tale of recovery.

AGrace

Thanks Dane, sorry I haven't got back to you until now. Sounds like you are doing well and cycling is something that will boost your endo's and keep you on track. All the best, Gravellis

gravelly
Community Member
Thanks AGrace, I am all to familiar with group therapy and the attitude of some psychiatrists. Personally I think we are all individuals and should be treated accordingly. I am not divorced or elderly so I would have walked out. I am still doing well, and thanks for your support. Cheers, musgravellis

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I'm not divorced or elderly either, I guess I stayed in hope that at some point we'd get to the actual topic. Group therapy by Psychologists, OTs, and nurses is so much better. I actually do a Self Esteem Group, Art Therapy, and will start DBT in Jan, all at The Melbourne Clinic. Their groups are pretty good when not facilitated by crazy Psychiatrists.

Hearing they have scattered Robin Williams' ashes in the ocean really humbled me. I hope now he is free to travel the world, being carried by the waves, and leaves a little laughter in every pocket of the globe. 

AG