FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I am about to put my dog down tomorrow.

Siobhan505
Community Member

I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow to euthanise my family's black Labrador of 15 years. 

I feel very sad and down about it and almost feel physically ill. 

Blitz is the sweetest dog and I am dreading coming home to an empty house and getting rid of his stuff and knowing I can never be near him again.

We are cremating him and the thought of him just being dust is extremely painful.
Any advice on how to navigate this difficult would be appreciated.

Does it get easier over time?

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear Siobhan505,

Welcome to our supportive forums’ community, thank you for having the courage to seek assistance during your time of distress. We are so sorry to hear about your precious black Labrador and your pending appointment, your response to this terrible situation is completely understandable.

While you wait for the amazing support from our lovely community, we just wanted to pop in and remind you that Beyond Blue is here if you need support. Our counsellors are available to help process these painful and overwhelming events and help get you through this ordeal.

Beyond Blue are available 24/7 via calls and chat via this link.

Thank you again for joining our supportive community and sharing your experiences, we hope you find the shared insights and advice of our members helpful.

Warm regards
Sophie M

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Siobhan, my deepest thoughts are surely with you in this in life where losing a much loved pet, part of the family and truly treasured is not the easiest task anyone would want to do, and I've had to do this several times, and it must be so difficult and very sad for you.

To come home to an empty house is definitely not a pleasant thought, remembering all the idiosyncrasies and all the acts that once put a smile on your face, makes you searching for answers why this has to be.

I've had other people pick up the remains from the vet, because I simply couldn't do it and then ask them to plant them in the garden where I then planted a beautiful scrub.

Watching this bush flower brought some joy back in to me, but the memory still remains for a long time and even if you are given another pet, they are different and have funny other ways to entertain you, but this may take a little time for you to once again enjoy.

The only time when you are able to buy another pet is when you see one that puts a little smile on your face, their manners, their cuteness and something they do that brings a slight smile on your face, but you can never replace the one you have lost.

I am deeply so terribly sorry for you.

Geoff.

Life Member.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

First of all, I am so sorry. Losing a pet is so hard.

I lost my family dog in February 2022 (nearly a year now), he was 12 and a golden labrador! Labs are just gorgeous and it killed me to see him go, it was very sudden too - he went from fine, to sick for a few days, and then the vet told us he had stomach cancer that had burst and it was time to euthanise :(. It was so hard, but I found comfort in knowing that he would be in a safe place and wouldn't be in so much pain anymore. When he went off to sleep and was sedated, he looked calm and you could see to pain leaving his face which relieved me (even though I was distraught). Nothing can prepare you for how it feels in the moment (awful), but the grief will get easier over time. I am tearing up now thinking about him, but I also think back to him with good memories now. I miss him though but I know he's in a better place. I cried every time I saw his stuff for a few weeks, we had to get rid of his bed ASAP which really helped us move on. We bought our other dog a new bed and tried to make new memories (it was also sad because my other dog had been with him her whole life and she was visibly distressed for a while after - but now she's okay). We had a picture painted of him and keep his ashes in the living room, so he is always around us.

It is very difficult but the main advice I have is to let yourself grieve and spend time with Blitz and reminisce on your memories of him - he had a great life and it is time for him to go to a better place - you will meet again one day. Over time, the grief will get easier.

Thinking of you,

Jaz xx