FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

advice on long term grieving

Fletch2014
Community Member
Hi I had a good friend of mine kill himself 17 years ago(I was 17 at the time as well) and his death still hurts me. I haven't really talked to anyone about it before apart from my wife.  I was wondering if I should talk to his parents about him as his death so I can finally put it to rest or is taking to them a bad idea.
3 Replies 3

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Fletch,

Welcome to the forums, I'm really sorry about your loss.

I wanted to start by saying a bit about myself (that's relevant to your question). 19 years ago at the age of 15 my boyfriend committed suicide. We'd known each other over a year, and I had little clue that he was suffering so badly. What I found with my experience was that I didn't grieve properly at the time. For a couple of reasons. Suicide was so taboo, that you just didn't talk about it, I had no idea how to grieve this massive loss at such a young age, and no one else seemed to know how to support me, plus it was probably far to painful which is why it was all suppressed.

18 years on, and after seeing a Psychiatrist (and subsequently a Psychologist) I started the grieving process last year. It's still difficult. I don't think the heart ever fully recovers from such a loss, but I can manage the sadness and hurt a bit better. I tried to make contact with my ex's father a few months back and sadly never heard back from him. It takes a great deal of will every day not to just rock up on his door step.

Talking about it is definitely the biggest help. Have you remained in contact with his parents all this time? If so, talking to them could be a good idea. If not, I guess, like me, you would want to consider what would be the benefit for them. Have you ever sought any form of counselling since your friend's death? Seeing a grief counsellor is another option. They are trained to take you through all the steps of grief. Has talking with your wife helped? Do you visit the cemetery? Talking to my ex, and writing him letters has also helped.

I hope this gives you some things to think about. I'm more than happy to hear back from you.

AGrace

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Fletch, this is something that is very hard to be able to cope with, and this includes Amber as well, and she is right I don't think that you can ever forget what happened, especially seeing or hearing about a top celebrity taking their own life, and has probably been raised again by the death of Robin Williams, but unfortunately this can happen again, so you have to explain in your mind how to cope with this terrible event.

Talking to your wife will help you, and I don't mean this in an awful way when I say that she isn't qualified to actually handle the best way to counsel you, loving and understanding of course, but it still won't ease your thoughts.

I f you got on well with his parents then it would be possible to talk to them, but I would keep seeing them for awhile if your wife allows you to, but the parents must have been grieving every day, so it might help them as well.

You should go and see your doctor and ask h/her to put you on a medicare plan which entitles you to 10 free visits to a psych. but it would be a good idea to ask your wife how she feels about doing this, or if she believes this will take priority over your marriage. Geoff.

Jacko777
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
G'day Fletch, I have also grieved over lost ones for a long time. In the end i thought; if they are looking down at me now, would they want me to be happy or sad? They would want me to be happy and to live life to the fullest, honour them in that way. It takes practice!