FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What helps with automatic intrusive negative thoughts?

Tgirll
Community Member

Hi all

I have trouble with automatic thoughts constantly flooding my brain and they're usually hard to deal with and get me down. Sometimes I don't let them get me down but I'm going through a patch where it's hard to do that.

My psychologist asked me to think of ways that help me with those thoughts and what makes them better. But I can't think of much.

Can you please share some ideas?

Thank you

11 Replies 11

Allan533
Community Member

One thing I'm trying these days that works (sometimes) is basically just noticing the thought, acknowledging it as a thought, and then just moving on. Like, let's say I have a thought that my friend is going to leave me. My mental process goes something like this.

"They're going to get sick of you and leave you."

Hm, that's an odd thing to think. Brain must be in a grumpy mood today. *Literally visualises picking up the thought, putting it to the side, then walking past it.* Now, what was I doing?

It's much, much easier to do sometimes than others, don't get me wrong. Like at the moment I'm struggling to move past a series of thoughts I'm having about being an inevitable burden on those around me. But if I'm in a more stable place, it can really help stop thoughts snowballing, rather than trying to "disprove" them or engage with them in any kind of way.

Imagine it like some guy passionately arguing how zucchinis should have the vote. Yes, it's amusing enough to be tempting to stop and watch, and maybe ask the guy about why he thinks that, but if you do he'll glom onto you and it'll be harder to get away, and you'll probably just end up awkward and uncomfortable. Easier to just notice, shrug, and keep walking.

Tgirll
Community Member

Hello Allan

Thanks a ton for your response. I am learning ways to cope on this thread from all of you that's fantastic. I can have some days where I do try distraction techniques and they can work fairly well but on those days where I know I can't distract myself from those thoughts no matter what I do, it's best to just acknowledge them and observe them. Not judge them as anything like you suggested.

I was doing a bit of reading and found an interesting website that stated this on intrusive thoughts:

"Your brain learns from repeated practice and experience, and can do exactly the same if you ‘practice’ your intrusive thoughts enough.
If you keep worrying about the thoughts in your head, trying to analyse, and keep feeling anxious, this like a practice, a repeated experience, and your brain learns, and eventually a pathway is created and your thoughts can come automatically.
Having an emotional reaction to the content of your thoughts, keeps the unwanted thought alive in your mind. When you are able to let the thought come into your mind and your feelings are not affected, the thoughts start to lose their power."

it just helped in reminding me that these are just thoughts and they won't be there forever. I can change these thoughts with practice.

just so you know, you aren't a burden. There are people that love you and you are important and do matter. I know you've made my day a little better by helping me out with your suggestion so thank you so much!

Warm thoughts to you Allan and thank you again 🙂