FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Short term Depression

try-to-smile2
Community Member

For the last 2 years I seem to be suffering from very short term bouts of depression but I’ve read this is uncommon. Does anyone else experience this?

3 Replies 3

HelloGail
Community Member

Hello Try2Smile

It comes and goes, sometimes it can be caused by me eating too much chocolate or sugary foods but for me usually it's loneliness. Walking and going to the supermarket is generally the best time to say hello to someone. I am resistant to making new friends as have trust broken so many times. So you are not alone in experiencing depression. 

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi try-to-smile2

Short term bouts of depression can definitely feel like some form of torture. Just when you think everything's come good, bamm, you can feel that horrible shift again.

If you're someone who's a really intense feeler (a person who feels just about everything), I think it's not too unusual to easily feel the lows as well as the highs. Can definitely make for a see-saw kind of life. I've found it handy to identify as many triggers as possible. Can also be handy to identify feeling levels of emotion. A couple of examples that come to mind: You can feel what a little lost feels like then next level might be very lost. Next level could be extremely lost followed by lost on a depressing level. You can feel what being a bit disappointed feels like or what very disappointed feels like. Next level disappointment could involve extremely disappointed followed by facing what feels like a deeply depressing and mind altering level of disappointment. Each level of any emotion has a particular feel to it.

Another thing to be able to feel are chemical shifts which can last briefly or for days. This is probably most obvious in women in relation to the chemical shifts that can take place with pregnancy, periods and menopause. While the chemical shifts aren't obvious, their depressing side effects can be. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can also produce some horrible chemical shifts.

Another factor can involve the people around us who can shift us in and out of emotional states. A single soul destroying comment can trigger a sudden drop into a period of depression, just as a sudden mind altering uplifting thoroughly inspirational revelation can trigger a shift out of it. If you're the kind of person who feels for others, coming across 5 different people in one day can take you from feeling their anger, their depression, their intolerance, their sense of victimisation right through to that 5th person's sense of deep heartache.

However people choose to describe it - see-saws, merry-go-rounds, roller coasters or such, life for a person who can feel so deeply and so easily can be far from easy.

Beth_123
Community Member

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experiences. While it is true that depression typically involves persistent and ongoing feelings of sadness or hopelessness, it is also possible for individuals to experience shorter bouts of depression. In fact, some people may experience what is called "situational depression," which is characterized by a depressive episode that arises in response to a specific life event, such as a breakup or the loss of a job.

It's important to remember that everyone's experience of depression is unique, and there is no "right" way to experience it. If you are experiencing feelings of sadness, hopelessness, or other symptoms of depression, it's important to seek support and talk to a mental health professional.

In addition to seeking professional support, there are also things you can do to manage your symptoms and support your mental health. This may include engaging in regular exercise, practicing mindfulness or meditation, getting enough sleep, and eating a healthy and balanced diet.

It may also be helpful to identify any triggers or situations that may contribute to your short-term bouts of depression. For example, if you notice that your symptoms tend to arise after a particularly stressful work week, you may need to take steps to manage your stress and prioritize self-care during those times.

Remember that seeking help for depression is a sign of strength, and there are many resources available to support you on your journey to improved mental health. If you are struggling with depression, please know that you are not alone, and help is available.