FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Share your story about coming off antidepressents

SergeZ
Community Member
Hey guys my name is Serge and I decided to come ofd my antidepressants this is my share.

Been slowly coming off anti-depressants from the storm I went through in the last 12 months.
What an emotional rollercoaster while the brain gets used to normal functionality.
One day I'm super happy, next day short fuse, can't pick it.
But goes to show how anti-depressants just keep you stable.
When I'm feeling happy, it's a good high and haven't experienced that level of happiness on anti-depressants.
Almost there, the rollercoaster has lessened.

3 Replies 3

rhinoceros
Community Member

I had to come off an antidepressant, a SNRI more specifically. I was on it for 10+ years but unfortunately my depression and anxiety was coming back and there was no scope to increase the dose. It took 5+ years of slow tapering to wean off it. The withdrawals were quite unpleasant even with a very slow taper.

I've tried a couple other medications and unfortunately had limited success as yet. For the last 3 years I've managed my depression and anxiety without medication. Lots of counselling, utilising my support network, and positive thinking have helped. It's not always easy though.

Medication only goes so far, I started to have a very natural and I guess spiritual approach to life, gym and lots of exercise, it is a BIG antidepressant helps increase endorphins. I meditate daily at least 6 out 7 days and started doing yoga, mediation and yoga has helped me to be in the present and not worry about the 1000 things I have to do. As excess worrying that's where anxiety kicks in.

With meditation I was told wrong many years ago, I was told its to sit there still and not think of anything, now for someone with ADHD that is near impossible.

The point of meditation is to actually let your brain run wild, its to purge all the thoughts then you would have more of a clear mind for the rest of the day, so it is best done in the morning.

I been meditating now for about 5-6 months and after about 3 months I started to get into deep mediation and in time your brain goes calm and still.

If you decide to do that, you got to built up to it, set a timer for 10 min, then 15 min, then 20 now I do up to 30 min. You will know your self when 10 or 15 min isn't enough anymore as when the timer goes off you almost get shocked I guess from being in mediation, which isn't too different to a deep sleep. That means you can start to go 5 min longer or so until you experience a natural progression out of it.

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi SergeZ

I think every time someone achieves finding a new part of themself, a new skill and a new practice this is something to be proud of and amazed by. Every time I discover something new in the way of self management and self understanding it becomes a matter of 'Ahh, that's how I work. I had no idea. No wonder I was struggling so much'.

As a 52yo gal, I began practicing yoga only a matter of months back. It's incredible how we don't always realise how much tension we hold onto until it's brought to our attention. I also had no idea about the emotional side of yoga. So incredibly fascinating.

I get where you're coming from with the meditation. I think we can meditate on hundreds of different things. Like you, I was always led to believe it was about quietening the mind. So much of it is about observation. Whether it's about observing/meditating on a cloud, giving it our full focus (like we did with clouds when we were little) or observing/meditating on what parts of us may be arguing (the inner stresser arguing with the inner sage), observation and full focus can offer moments of simple beauty, feeling what peace feels like (that soft energy in quiet stillness), the ability to better understand an internal battle and so much more.

I love the mind/body/spirit approach to life. While recognising mental challenge (such as inner dialogue and certain belief systems that need serious deleting) and recognising physical challenge (all the biological, chemical factors and more), a natural understanding of self, others and life can make a massive difference when it comes to how we live. Recognising energy in motion (e-motion) is so important. Whether that energy is hyperactive, blocked, too slow or simply overwhelming or depressing, it's definitely something we can feel, especially when we meditate on it.