FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Resignation

Jake_5
Community Member

Hi everyone I want to leave my job 

the stress and pressure of it all is now impacting my mental health severely 

and also my home life 

I literally throwing up from anxiety before I get to work 

can anyone please fill me in on the process 

I have a letter from my doctor 

4 Replies 4

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Jake, when a situation like this happens, then it's impossible to be able to work, but would like to know whether the doctor's letter states whether you can't work in this environment and need time away, perhaps you could let us know.

Geoff.

Life Member.

SBEL
Community Member

Hey Jake, sorry you’re feeling so anxious at the moment, It must be difficult when it affects you with such physical symptoms. Its hard when you feel stuck in a job you are not longer enjoying! I would definitely recommend doing what you can to reduce your work load especially while you are feeling burnt out, perhaps use the letter from your doctor to give yourself some time off to recover, you could then use this time to put a plan in place and then take small steps in a new direction. I know it’s easier said than done but just know you’re not alone in dealing with this and with the right support thing will look up! 

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jake

I’m really sorry that you are so unwell and that pressure and stress from work is the reason why you’re unwell.

I guess my question is, are you sure you want to resign? This will leave you unwell and without income. I don’t believe CentreLink payments are easy to obtain if you resign your position.
My second question is would you want your job if reasonable adjustments were made that enabled you to cope and be mentally healthy?

I ask because you have a right to lodge a WorkCover claim. If approved, the system will support you financially and medically to heal and be able to return to work safely when you are ready. Your employer will likely be required to make reasonable adjustments to enable your return in consultation with your medical team.

The first step is to take sick leave using your medical certificate and ask your employer for a claim form, which you complete and lodge. You can ask your doctor to help with this. This will start the formal process.

In the meantime you stay on sick leave and keep working with your doctor on your health.

If the claim is approved, your doctor will be required to provide “certificates of capacity” and work with your Workcover case manager to meet the system requirements and help return you to work safely.

For some people the system is very stressful and challenging, but for others a real help. 
This is just an option for you to consider.

Kind thoughts to you

Beth_123
Community Member

Hi Jake_5,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been experiencing with your job. It's understandable that the stress and pressure have taken a toll on your mental health and home life. It's important to prioritize your well-being and make changes when necessary.

Based on the information you've provided, it seems like you have a letter from your doctor regarding your mental health. This is a good first step in the process of leaving your job. You may want to speak with your employer or HR representative about your situation and provide them with the doctor's letter. They may have a specific process in place for employees who need to take time off or leave their job due to health reasons.

Additionally, it may be helpful to seek support from a mental health professional, such as a therapist or counselor. They can provide you with tools and strategies to manage your anxiety and cope with the challenges you are facing. They may also be able to provide you with guidance on how to navigate your work situation.

Remember that it's okay to prioritize your well-being and make changes in your life when necessary. Take care of yourself and seek out the support you need during this challenging time.

Best of luck to you.