FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My experience with medications and COVID

Yellow-Thorn78
Community Member

I am seeing a therapist about the development of forming and being aware of the feelings of others and myself. We looked at a brain diagram in relation to the thinking brain and the 'caveman brain' how it forms responses and how to go beyond instinctual processes like fight, flight, freeze and appease. We talked about what activities can exercise the 'thinking brain' and this term in this session ignited a series of memories that always feel like they're following me. It was my relationship with acne medication, COVID and the strain that I felt was imposed on me after my grandpa died.

Medication is something that should be explored more often. I was on a medication to treat acne, of which my epidemiologist told me and my parents that a primary effect of the medication is exhaustion and depression. The odd thing was the only real way I came to my feeling was after my prescription was increased, and my parents said I felt off and description. The happiness I felt after getting off them was something I was not conscious about, which I feel carried over throughout COVID.

And then I hit a wall. Surrounding all the topics listed above, my senior year level experience was terrible. It was in Term 3 Year 11 that my grandpa passed away. He lives in England, and so my dad was the only one to go to his funeral. I became irritable and mad at the world, and while I'm teaching myself to live and move forward, I couldn't and still can't wholly forgive the trampling behavior of former and even current friends and family. I wasn't only that I wasn't brave enough to say something felt off, but it feels hard to dissect into tinier pieces when it can spiral out of control.

I often feel alone; I've never been in an intimate or best friend relationship, and I still don't completely know why it's okay to negatively chat about things. I can't really argue about how it feels sluggish, but it simply feels overwhelming. Everything, Nothing and I can conspire against me, and it leaves me without any steps into any conceivable direction.

That's all I have to say really. Sorry if parts feel cryptic or go against the second point of the guidelines. Part of me says this is to vent and move on but it would be nice to receive different approaches I should go about if situations like these or even new arise.

1 Reply 1

Beth_123
Community Member

Dear Yellow-Thorn78,

I want to start by acknowledging the courage it takes to open up about your experiences and struggles.

It sounds like you had a challenging experience with acne medication and the side effects it had on your mood and energy levels. It's not uncommon for certain medications to have emotional side effects, and it's important to communicate any changes in your mood or well-being to your healthcare provider. I'm glad to hear that you were able to recognize the impact of the medication and eventually get off it, and that you found some relief in doing so.

I remember losing my grandmother who I was very close with. For me, grief came in waves and it’s important to remember that you can allow yourself to grieve and take the time to do this.

Feeling alone and struggling with relationships can be incredibly tough, and it's important to remember that it's okay to feel that way. It's important to be gentle with yourself and not judge yourself for your emotions. I found it very helpful to talk to my therapist and a trusted friend about my feelings, and I hope you can do the same as they may be able to provide support and understanding.

As for different approaches to cope with situations like these, it's important to remember that healing and recovery are unique to each person. Here are some suggestions that might be helpful:

Seek support: Don't hesitate to reach out for support from a therapist, counselor, or trusted person in your life. Talking about your emotions and experiences can be cathartic and validating.

Self-care: Take care of yourself physically, emotionally, and mentally. This may involve getting enough sleep, eating well, engaging in activities you enjoy, and practicing self-compassion.

Express yourself: Find healthy ways to express your emotions, such as through journaling, art, or talking to a trusted person. Expressing your emotions can help you process and release them.

Remember, healing takes time and it's important to be patient with yourself. You're not alone, and it's okay to seek help and support. You're taking steps towards your well-being, and I believe in your ability to overcome these challenges.