FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Help? Advice? Anything?

Maree17
Community Member
I'll summarise:
• Suffering from depression for a few years now
• Managed with antidepressants
• Feeling numb, libido non-existent, questioning if the drugs are causing me to lack real joy also?
• Constantly tired
• Failed all units at UNI, dropped out as of this mid-year break - feel as though constant tiredness and lack of motivation is the main cause for this.
• Went off antidepressants cold-turkey about a month ago
• Withdrawal symptoms such as fatigue, dizziness, hypersomnia, vivid dreams, low mood, foggy head, etc.
• Sick of waiting for withdrawal symptoms to go away (I know it's not a good idea to quit cold-turkey and without medical advice - did it anyway cause I'm sick of feeling less-than-average).
• Took antidepressants again for the first time in a month, tonight. Cant deal with the never-ending need for sleep, dizziness and brain so foggy sometimes I cant even formulate a single sentence.
• Cant talk to loved ones about this because I know what I SHOULD be doing and what they would say/feel (and I dont want to burden them or make them feel like I'm a mess and cant look after myself).

I just want to be normal and have normal emotions and be able to handle everyday things like UNI and work and the stuff that everyone else seems to get though, even though it can be a slog. I just want to feel like I can do normal things and be a functioning member of society.

I dont know what to do. Exercise, meditate, seek help, spend time with friends, eat a good diet. I know that's what I'm SUPPOSED to do. I just dont have the energy or the willpower.
1 Reply 1

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Maree, and welcome to the forums.

There's a lot going on at the moment from what you have told us, but at times we want to decide ourselves when or if we want to take the medication prescribed by our doctor, they are the people to give you the proper advice.

Depression is different from person to person and we only wish our own depression could be gone with a click of the finger, however, there are different circumstances that come into effect for each person.

Can I suggest you ask your doctor for a referral to see a psychologist, you can do this on a 'mental heath plan', which entitles you to 10 Medicare paid sessions.

Please get back to us.

Geoff.