Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Whatthe1 Feel absolutley Lost
  • replies: 4

I feel absolutely lost and think l may have been struggling with depression for about 17 Years. On the outside people wouldn't even know, l pretend to smile but on the inside, l am an absolute mess. 17 Years ago l gave birth to a beautiful baby and t... View more

I feel absolutely lost and think l may have been struggling with depression for about 17 Years. On the outside people wouldn't even know, l pretend to smile but on the inside, l am an absolute mess. 17 Years ago l gave birth to a beautiful baby and than my father died, since that day l would say the only days l have actually smiled and been truly happy was the days l have given birth to my babies. My husband makes me feel like shit and unattractive, l feel like l only hear from friends when they need something. Feel like l am not worth anything to anybody. Tried depression tablets 17 years ago and counselling but nothing works. In the past week, l have never felt so depressed, alone, unloved

lost72 I'm so unhappy
  • replies: 1

I don't know where to start. Nothing makes a me happy and nobody seems to care. My partner is not understanding what is wrong with me. I guess I can't really pinpoint it either. I am yearning for something better. Financially we are treading water. I... View more

I don't know where to start. Nothing makes a me happy and nobody seems to care. My partner is not understanding what is wrong with me. I guess I can't really pinpoint it either. I am yearning for something better. Financially we are treading water. I want to move but can't make a decision where. But Im not wanting to do that to my kids. Having to change schools etc. Brother invited all family to go to Bali for his 40th knowing I don't fly so that's crap..partner wouldn't go anyway cos he ia negative towards most of my family and friends. Parents don't contact me unless they want something. I am a sah mum but need to get back into workforce. Don't know how when I just want to sleep all day. I have no motivation. I just want to be happy again.

Sunny2179 Probably normal
  • replies: 2

Just wondering why is it that i always get upset out of no where and never want to talk to anyone ? This mostly happens during school and i hate being around people like i said mostly at school. Although, when i go home i feel better and im still qui... View more

Just wondering why is it that i always get upset out of no where and never want to talk to anyone ? This mostly happens during school and i hate being around people like i said mostly at school. Although, when i go home i feel better and im still quiet just not as upset and down as i am at school?

ScarlettR Does anyone deal with derealisation?
  • replies: 6

In mid-2013, I started feeling weird in the head and had a lot of anxiety attacks. My energy went down, and I spent most of the day in bed, and ended up missing a lot of uni classes. The feeling inside my head is really weird, like surreal, in a drea... View more

In mid-2013, I started feeling weird in the head and had a lot of anxiety attacks. My energy went down, and I spent most of the day in bed, and ended up missing a lot of uni classes. The feeling inside my head is really weird, like surreal, in a dream. It's like anxiety in the sense that it starts small, insignificant and sticks at the back of my mind all the time then snowballs into something frightening, bleak and even threatening. But it's more a psychological symptom than physical. Thoughts that bring on these uncomfortable, scary episodes are: how will I support myself away from parents, how can I prevent myself from living on the streets unless I have a good landlord, what will happen after my parents/ loved ones pass away, when will I ever get a proper, decent paying job? These thoughts go on for a while and trigger me and I get emotionally upset, then I go into derealisation mode. I get these episodes even in my sleep if I nap during the day (the derealisation doesn't seem to occur when I sleep at night). So in 2013, I got these weird feelings and thought it was just anxiety and depression, so I was put on anti-depressants. Now I think I was actually suffering from derealisation all this time, although I'm happy to stay on the antidepressants. In recent years, I've gained control over my thought process and managed to live daily life mostly painfree. The derealisation episodes still happen, and they happen mostly at night. Does anyone else deal with this? I'm keen to know if there's other people suffering from this horrible psychological symptom.

Chainofdaisys Marriage and depression
  • replies: 1

I’m at a point where I don’t know what to do. My depression and anxiety have reached a severe point after the birth of my first child 4 years ago. I’m in such a dark place and know I’m not easy to handle nor the situation but my husband just doesn’t ... View more

I’m at a point where I don’t know what to do. My depression and anxiety have reached a severe point after the birth of my first child 4 years ago. I’m in such a dark place and know I’m not easy to handle nor the situation but my husband just doesn’t seem to understand my condition. Tonight I got the comment of “I need to do more to get better” despite the fact I go to a psychologist and psychiatrist and am on medication. Yet he doesn’t want me to go into hospital. I just feel so unsupported and starting to feel alone in my marriage. He won’t come with me to see my psychologist to get a better understanding of what goes on in my head. I don’t know what to do, I don’t know how Im meant to be in a marriage with someone who can’t be that calm in the storm or doesn’t try to understand this disease. has anyone else had this experience?

DannyG Unemployed and volunteering

Hi all does anyone have any advice about volunteering? I’ve been unemployed for 4 months I get interviews but no job offers. Ive been trying for volunteer roles and I get no response. I call and leave messages or send emails - nothing. is anyone else... View more

Hi all does anyone have any advice about volunteering? I’ve been unemployed for 4 months I get interviews but no job offers. Ive been trying for volunteer roles and I get no response. I call and leave messages or send emails - nothing. is anyone else going through similar and feel like sharing their thoughts? Thanks:) D

Anon-12 I’m very lost
  • replies: 3

I’ve recently lost a family member extremely close to me, and had my partner walk out on me all within the span of two weeks. I’m broken, lost and scared. I’ve been extremely low before but never this low. I don’t know how to keep myself occupied, I ... View more

I’ve recently lost a family member extremely close to me, and had my partner walk out on me all within the span of two weeks. I’m broken, lost and scared. I’ve been extremely low before but never this low. I don’t know how to keep myself occupied, I have moved to a new town and don’t know anybody. I am alone and it’s taking its toll. is there anything I can do to keep myself busy and attempt to find a positive state of mind? My partner was extremely degrading and mentally abusive, to the point I was afraid to sleep in the same room to avoid being told how worthless I am. They constantly bragged about the attention they received from other people, and how much better they were off without me. When they left they were very heartless and that’s what pushed me down further. I am trying to grieve the loss of someone who is no longer on this earth, and the loss of someone who walked away. I don’t know which is worse. I gave more than I had in me to this person and I feel as though it was never enough. how do I get out of this horrible state of mind

IsThisIt_ What has my life come to

I dont know what to say, I have never posted before. Until recently I didnt know I was depressed, I just thought I was unlucky in life and a good person so thats why people use me. I thought eventually if I was a good person and worked hard that life... View more

I dont know what to say, I have never posted before. Until recently I didnt know I was depressed, I just thought I was unlucky in life and a good person so thats why people use me. I thought eventually if I was a good person and worked hard that life would work out for the best but now Im 35 and alone with a terrible life. My friends only reach out if i reach out first, I feel so alone. I now avoid functions because its awkward especially when i get asked "how have you been" what can I say? I have been shit and my life is over which will ruin the mood. Everyone wants you to be happy all the time. I went into real estate and was actually good at it but made the decision I wanted to get better and improve my career only to hit the wall of bad times over and over again. I see many people doing well who are horrible people and do unlawful things yet they have good lives and i have nothing trying to do the right thing. Had a "friend" offer me the world when his office went down hill and wanted my help while he was over seas to help the office, only to stuff me around and not offer me a job after I was there for 2 months. Now Im in a shit job doing labouring where the boss treats me like rubbish so mentally im drained. I have to accept it so i get a pay cheque as Im very poor now which makes me cry that Im such a disappointment that I have to put up with bad people. To add to it, my girlfriend just gave up on me because she couldnt see a happy like with me. She wanted the big dates and fun times yet I couldnt be that person all the time in a state like this. She just saw my bad luck and depression as excuses, maybe I should have opened up about my depression months ago but how do you start that conversation with someone that wants you to be happy? I just dont know where to go from here. My friend just reached out and I told him about work and the breakup but he just ran, no one likes the conversation so again, I am alone. I guess this is my life and I need to accept it, some people are not meant to be happy. But I dont know if this is the life I can accept, lucky I have my 2 dogs to keep me company so I have to stay on this path to provide for them. I just dont know what to do to be happy or if being happy is possible.. sorry for the rant guys, I just had to speak and could cry to myself any more

The_Quiet_Rambler Completely Alone and Friendless
  • replies: 7

I realised a couple years ago that I have no real friends. Every single person I considered a friend only ever talked to me when I approached them. Only ever contacted me when they wanted something. They often say they'd love to catch up but are conv... View more

I realised a couple years ago that I have no real friends. Every single person I considered a friend only ever talked to me when I approached them. Only ever contacted me when they wanted something. They often say they'd love to catch up but are conveniently indisposed (or didn't see my messages) when I'm in town ... I spiraled after a event involving someone who I thought was a real friend. And I realised after that I have no friends. I was so miserable that I did something I never did before, I told everyone I was struggling and sought them out (as friends are supposed to be there for you right? I guess not if you were never their real friends to begin with it seems) ... and they all disappeared (some straight away, others took a month or two) ... until I was literally alone. This broke my heart. And I don't know what to do. I often walk by the man who made me realise this. Before my misery drove everyone away he was like my best friend. We'd catch up every week ... it was awkward catchups because we are both awkward people, but that's why I liked him so much. It was like we are both the same kind of outsider (but unlike me everyone seems to love him) ... but now he pretends he doesn't' see me when our paths cross. I saw him just yesterday, and he literally looked up at me, his face turned dark and than he looked away. I realise that this is my fault. I freaked him right out with my misery, when I realised I alienated him my last words to him was that I'd never bother him again but if he wanted to catch up I'm always here. That was probably 18 months ago. Occasionally he'll wave from a afar if he sees me, but mostly he pretends he doesn't see me. And this is devastating. He was my last friend on this crappy world. I've tried to move on. Make new friends, a new canvas. I have pretty bad social anxiety too, so anything to do with people is hard, but I try and it's the same old story. The best I can hope for is people humouring me ... I feel like one those chronically unlikable ladies who goes around talking to strangers cause nobody else will. I don't even think I'm unlikable, I'm awkward sure, and different, I have trouble talking. But I'm friendly, and have stack of interesting hobbies that other folk usually rave about. But I'm always "that" person, "that freak." I'm so lonely. Would like some advice on how to make a real friend. I'm on the autism spectrum btw ... so I'm sure that ads to my creepiness that repels the rest of humanity

shortone123 I don't know what to do
  • replies: 3

For the last 6-8 months I've felt really sad and miserable. I've constantly felt like everyone's against me and that they all hate me. Sometimes I just wonder if I'm good enough and if all this is my fault. i always seem to do something wrong, my par... View more

For the last 6-8 months I've felt really sad and miserable. I've constantly felt like everyone's against me and that they all hate me. Sometimes I just wonder if I'm good enough and if all this is my fault. i always seem to do something wrong, my parents are always mad and me. I tried taking to my dad but he was flying off to London the next day and we haven't talked about it since. I feel like if I bring it up to my parents again they would just ignore it. i know I need help but I don't know how. I don't know what to do