FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Exhausted

robinr
Community Member

Hi,

This is my first time posting on the BB forum, so forgive me if I get something wrong.

I've had this problem for a while, but only recently has it singularly made my life difficult (usually it exists in combination with procrastination, sadness, self-isolation or something like that). I currently attend school and have enrolled in mostly difficult classes, which means that not only am I receiving more difficult work, I am also getting dramatically more out-of-school obligations than I've had previously. It's worth mentioning that every person I've asked has had trouble adjusting - the learning curve isn't unique to me, but the continued effects are.

I had to complete a fair amount of work over the weekend that had me working from 8am to 6pm with the inclusion of lengthy breaks to make sure I didn't totally burn out before I had everything done, which I nearly did. However, now I feel like I can't do anything at all, and was totally unable to focus during the day. I also feel that in general I am unable to do the same amount of work in a day as someone else (maybe I'd get half done). I don't want to quit any of my classes, and not completing the required work would earn me a detention and potentially being kicked out as well as put me behind, but I don't want to feel like this every Monday.

Is this a normal symptom of depression? What can I do to regain my energy? And do you have any other advice on how to manage my workload?

3 Replies 3

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Robinr and welcome to the forums

Thank you for sharing your story and asking some very good questions.

You asked - Is this a normal symptom of depression? Are you referring to - ....now I feel like I can't do anything at all, and was totally unable to focus during the day. I also feel that in general I am unable to do the same amount of work in a day as someone else (maybe I'd get half done).

I'm not a health professional though do have lived experience with depression. There could be a number of reasons for how you are feeling. From what you've explained - I too would get extremely tired, unable to focus and lack energy after doing things that was out of the normal, or difficult (like your new difficult classes at school). But whether this is from depression or whether it is from pure use of energy, lack of sleep, not eating the right foods - I really couldn't say.

I imagine you'd be experiencing other symptoms too. My thoughts are a visit to the doctor would be a good place to start to find out what's happening. They can ask you some more questions to find out more clearly what is going on for you.

What can I do to regain my energy? How well are you eating while you're working so hard? Good nutrition helps to keep us alert and energetic, as does - exercise and sleep, down time (e.g. doing things that are fun, not just work/study related).

And do you have any other advice on how to manage my workload? That's a difficult question for me to answer. Do you plan your study/work time? E.g. - what you want to achieve when you studying or working? It can be simple list of things. Tick them off as you go. Talk to someone about what your doing. Is it feasible to do some of the work in a group - this might help one another out?

Hope some of this helps robinr. Keep reaching out if and when you want to.

Kind regards

PamelaR

robinr
Community Member

Thank you for your response, it means a lot.

It's difficult to compare my experiences to other people because none of them have my exact classes, but it seems like I spend a much larger portion of my energy doing the same work than they do. My sleeping habits are generally good (I tend to keep to a pretty tight schedule, so I usually get 8-9 hours a night), and though I wouldn't say my diet is perfect, I think I'm quite safely getting all the nutrients I need.

I think a visit to the doctor is a good idea. I usually eat and sleep well no matter what's going on, but I should probably be exercising more than I do now. I didn't have much downtime on the weekend but when I do, it's an even split between engaging in hobbies and watching/reading things.

I don't plan my work past the point of "I have to get this done by this day, and I'm free that day, so I'll do it then." I don't have friends in some of my classes, so getting together may be difficult, but I may be able to manage it for the others. The only problem is being social tires me out as well.

Thank you again for the answer!

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Robinr

I'm pleased to hear you think going to the doctor is a good idea. Hope you can get there. It will help you to discuss things that make you tired, e.g. social activities, studying.

There are also different organisations that are available if you haven't tried them already - e.g. eHeadspace. They are contactable on - www.eheadspace.org.au . No pressure, only if you want.

Also, to help with your study program, maybe Matrix Education can provide some ideas about developing a good study plan for yourself. If you want - have a look at https://www.matrix.edu.au/how-to-create-a-study-plan-that-works/

Hope some of this helps Robin.

Kind regards

PamelaR