Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.


Community Member



I got my divorce in 2019. I was a homemaker all my life. It was an unhealthy relationship. Ever since my divorce I have been trying to either study or stay into a job which I'm unable to. I get severely depressed and I live on my own. I have been on the jobseeker. I get overwhelmed easily and currently on antidepressants. I have been given a 3 months medical exemption for the mutual obligations.

I was wondering if I will be eligible for DSP.

I don't have the energy to write more or even describe in details

4 Replies 4

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Rya2345,


I’m in a similar position to you. I’m going to be applying for DSP soon. I honestly don’t know if I will get it and I don’t know in your case either. But I believe it’s worth a try. There are people who act as advocates who can help you do it. I was given the name of somebody by the disability employment agency I’m with. I’m guessing you are currently registered with an agency. I don’t know if it’s one for people with disabilities and medical conditions, but if you could be with one of those they can give you more specialised help/advice.


Are you currently seeing any sort of psychology/counselling support? They could write a letter to support you and I think your doctor would need to write something. I’m still learning about the process myself. I have a liver disease as well as depression/anxiety/cptsd. My psychologist is going to write something for me and I’m going to ask the liver specialist if he can do a report.


 I think it’s harder to get than it used to be but not necessarily impossible. Like you I’m really struggling. I live on my own too.


I think it would be worth finding an advocate who can help you with the forms. I think that can make a difference as they know the process well. If you look up the Disability Support Pension on the Services Australia website (I got there just by googling Disability Support Pension) there is a series of questions you can run through to find out if you may be eligible.


Take care and be gentle with yourself. I understand how hard it is.

Hi Eagle Ray,

sorry to hear about this.

please keep us posted about your DSP progress.

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Rya2345,


Yes, I can let you know how I go. I think the process can take a while so it might be a while before I find out.


Best wishes,


Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Rya2345,


Because you wanted me to keep you posted I just wanted to let you know it may be at least 3 months before I apply for DSP. My liver specialist wants to try a new medication first. I have just submitted forms from my liver specialist and GP for a verification of medical condition and 3 month medical certificate, plus a supporting letter from my psychologist. So I'm applying for a 3 month exemption from my Centrelink requirements first.


However, what I have learned in the meantime, which may be helpful to you, is the DSP is assessed on a points basis. You need 20 points to be considered for DSP. If you get 20 points in a single area, which means you are classed as being severe in that impairment, that is more likely to qualify you for DSP. You may still reach 20 points across several areas of impairment if they add up to 20, but in that case you may be required to undergo a Program of Support. In my case that would be what I'm doing already - being registered with a disability employment agency and having undergone various activities to try and help me go back to work. You can then be reassessed after a certain time (I think its 18 months) and if still unable to work you may then be considered for DSP.


To see the form required to be filled out by health professionals with the info from Services Australia, you can look up: Disability Support Pension, Medical Evidence Requirements, Information for Treating Health Professionals, SA478.


If the primary issue is a mental health one, such as depression, my understanding from the info is you will need the support of a treating psychiatrist, or a clinical psychologist in a conjunction with a GP. I don't know if you are seeing a psych already, but this would definitely help you if you want to apply for DSP down the track.


If you look up dsp.org.au that may help you too, as there are sample letters related to the impairment tables that you could give to a health professional to help them do their part of the application.


I hope you are feeling and doing a bit better now you are on your 3 month exemption and that you can really get some rest and recovery during that time. If you are not with a disability employment agency already, that may be helpful to you at the end of your exemption, as even if you have to restart your mutual obligations, those obligations will be significantly less and tailored to your current circumstances. Take care.