FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

can meds effect you?

SamonFish
Community Member

Hi, this is my second thread and wasn't sure if it would fit under my previous one. Anyways, when I was in Year 9 I had burnt my hand but the boiler in the boarding house leaked. And then after the school I went to had this camp that everyone went to for a term. During that time I had complained to the nurse that my hand kept on having a tingling sensation. So she gave me these meds that helped get rid of the tingling sensation. However, when my Dad saw the medication he told me it was also an anti-depressant, which shocked me (I stopped taking it when I found out). Long story short, can taking anti-depressants in a short period of time affect you mentally in the future?

Thanks for reading

1 Reply 1

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi SamonFish

I read your post with interest. Something just doesn't seem right about a school nurse handing out anti-depressants for a burn. This type of medication needs to be prescribed by a doctor.

In fact, I really find it hard to believe that a camp nurse would give a student anything other than an over-the-counter medication (eg something that could be purchased at the pharmacy).

It's entirely possible that your dad may have misread the medication label or simply made a mistake.

However, if it's really bothering you, contact the camp or school to find out exactly what the medication was and then discuss the matter with your GP.

Kind thoughts to you