FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Bipolar 2 - suspect medication is slowing me down and I hate that

jax_in_my_heart
Community Member

I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 about 18 months ago, and it took a good 12 months for me to adjust to this and try to take my medication regularly.

My biggest problem is that I feel I’ve lost part of what made me ‘me’. I used to be able to a thousand different things, I worked full-time and had several very busy volunteer jobs, and studied, and I always crammed it in. Now I find that I’m not really interested when I get home from work.

I still go out all the time, work full-time, see friends, etc, but I just don’t go at the frantic pace I used to. And I really miss that, because it gave me so much joy and fulfillment.

I can’t work out if this is because the pills make me slow down and more ‘normal’ speed, or if it’s due to my relationship break-up six months ago, or maybe I’m just getting older (I’m 35).

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi jax, welcome

Ive got bp2 and depression. Im 62yo and although bp all my life I was onl th diagnosed at 54yo. So I spent most of my life moody, hyped up with huge crash downs in depression without realising it was an illness.

It also meant I achieved, speed wise 4-5 times more than my friends.

Then meds came and it all slowed. But it slowed at other peoples pace. Over time I got used to it. I still feel a little guilty Im not doing the workload I once did but my wife reminds me that I'm also not tripping over and being accident prone through rushing.

Essentially you are missing your past life. Look at the positives not the negatives.

Its forced relaxation. No doubt we'll live longer

Tony WK