FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Movies that you enjoy ...

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi all

As a result of a little posting between myself and Matty, I've decided to create this thread.  It's something that so many of us could contribute to ... and there's no right or wrong answer or suggestion ... there's no-one judging, but hopefully it will be just a little bit of a distraction for all us (even if for a short time).  And if anyone would like to give a little reason for the movie they suggest, then GO FOR IT.

Also, don't hold back at just one ... so post away and post often.

For starters, I have 3 movies that all begin with the letter S that I really enjoy (although one really begins with the letter T):

Sea Of Love (Al Pacino and the big funny guy, who I can't think of right now)

Sleepers (powerful movie - awful awful what happens in the first half, but the 2nd half is revenge, oh sweet revenge)

The Shawkshank Redemption (Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins - love it)

Cheers all

Neil

82 Replies 82

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Great thread Neil:

OK, 3 movies I love are:

1.  Mammia Mia (sing all the Abba songs!!) Really love this one

2.  Prisicilla (another singalong)

3.  Grease (another great singalong)

Jo

Lillybell
Community Member

What a great idea Neil! I love movies. The only problem is deciding which ones. It's like picking a favourite child, impossible! But I'll give it a go. I love so many different genres. In the same way that songs make us remember certain periods of our lives, movies do that for me also. I remember watching Jaws when I was about 10, I think. Back then we didn't go to the movies, we went to the pictures! That is what they were called in the little country town that I lived in. But I also loved watching Bill Collins movie classics on tv every Friday  night. That's when I really came to love movies more seriously and all of the Hollywood greats. I loved the war movies, the westerns and of course the tear jerkers. I could go on all night! And if I don't make my way to the present I will go on all night. So... I will give three that I've watched recently and have just loved. First of all is, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I'm old enough to remember the original from 1947. The current one is amazing. I came out of the cinema feeling really good about the world! The next is The Hobbit. Just loved it. I saw the first as well. I'm also a great Lord of the Rings fan and lined up with two of my daughters every boxing day that each of the series came out. It is a really special memory for me. Ok, finally the last one. It is The Railway Man. I wasn't really happy with the way the movie bordered on being  a thriller, (wasn't necessary in my opinion) but the ending was worth it all. I love a good cry and this one made my daughter cry too. I've never seen her cry in a movie before. But she cried at the ending of the last Bachelor series! So maybe she is on a roll. The Railway Man is something close to my heart because it focuses on WWII. My dad was in that war and I thought of him all the way through. Anyway the movie has a wonderful ending which I won't give away. I wanted to sob but it is  a little embarrassing wanting to do that in a movie. I often get looks and that is when I'm controlling my tears! That reminds me of  when I saw Shindlers List but I won't go in to details.

I have seen the Shawshank Redemption, Neil, but it was a long time ago. So I only have vague memories of it. The others, I haven't seen. As far as action movies go, The Bourne series are one of my favourites. Will be really interesting to hear what others contribute.

p.s I've just finished watching the last of the Twilight movies with my youngest daughter! I like to mix it up. 

guest75
Community Member
oh good idea for a thread, this could be a long post as i love movies

mostly like horror and comedy (and ones that fit both) but also like stuff from a few other genres too

i dont normally like war movies, but i love the great escape, i generally hate westerns but love young guns and young guns 2

i like some sci fi but not a lot, really like total recall, cloverfield, minority report and planet of the apes (the mark wahlberg remake)

i like action movies but most of the ones i like border on (or actually are) comedy, stuff like hancock, bad boys, money train, beverly hills cop x3, django unchained, reservoir dogs, two hands and demolition man

love a good thriller - falling down, memento, roadkill and the butterfly effect

love comedy/horror cross overs like shaun of the dead and house

fav comedies are back to the future x3, blues brothers, ferris buellers day off, whats up doc, anchorman, billy madison...i could go on

fav horrors are Psycho (the original), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original), Nightmare On Elm St (first 3), Scream (first 3), Sleepy Hollow (first DVD i ever bought), From Dusk Till Dawn...once again i could go on

and aussie movies, who doesnt love an aussie movie? My favs are Two Hands, The Castle, Dirty Deeds, Take Away, Go Big (see it if you havent), Stiff & The Brush Off (david wenham is brilliant as murray wheelan)

like i said i love movies

Lillybell
Community Member

Hi Neil, I posted something on here last night but it hasn't come through yet. I posted something on another thread at the same time that has come through. It might show up later. Great suggestion.

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Neil

Me too!! I posted last night and it's still not on.  Oh well, hopefully you'll get it today.

Have a nice day

Jo

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I love the classics too, I have to bite my tongue from saying 'they don't make em like they used to' sometimes. I thought the new Walter Mitty was great, it was very funny and I really liked the idea of being forced out into doing something and discovering a new life in the process. Jimmy Stewart in 'It's A Wondeful Life' makes me cry every Christmas.

Juliet
Community Member

Hey Jess I can't believe you have got the wonderful JB Fletcher as your pic. Watch her nightly 🙂

Ok quite hard to choose but probably

1. The Witches of Eastwick (I have watched this a million times+ since I was about 10)

2. Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (okay not a masterpiece but I love the Art Deco apartment and sweet storyline)

3. Billy Madison (- hilarious. - to me anyway 😉 

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi all

This was a little tongue in cheek when I suggested that we limit it only to 3 movies … for movie buffs (like Matty 🙂 it’s nigh on impossible, so I’ll go to the well once more and produce these:

I loved the old “Trinity” movies … now they ARE old … ok Lillybell not quite 1947 vintage, but yeah.  🙂

It took me ages to see Star Wars, but it was my kids who got me to watch all of them and they weren’t overly bad.  Likewise with the Lord Of The Rings, I’ve seen all of them due to the kids and again, not so bad.

Misery was the first Stephen King movie I saw … I’m not a big one on horror kinds of ones (although, I guess that’s not really horror) but I was pleased where I saw it … there was a busload of local cricketers going to Sydney to see a one-day game at the SCG and they played that movie on the bus.  Watching something like that in day time with a bus load of blokes … yeah, I can handle that ok.

Cheers

Neil

Mbuna
Community Member

Hey everyone

I went and saw the second Hobbit movie. I loved it. I also went and saw Bad Grandpa. i found it to be hilarious. It is a bit crude but it is damn funny

Cheers

Mbuna