FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Canada - other highlights (the last one, I promise :)

Neil_1
Community Member

I think I could write forever about this time away, but I might wrap it up here;   although another thing that I did that I didn’t think I’d ever do was to go zip-lining and that was FUN!  Firstly with my daughter up at Grouse Mountain in Vancouver;  and the 2nd time on the cruise with both son and daughter at a little place called Skagway, in amongst a huge pine forest.  That’s pretty much the major tree over there – pines.  And zip-lining is awesome fun.  

Other highlights

In Kelowna, we got to hire a speed boat (250 horsepower engine) and boy oh boy, that was some awesome fun.  Driving a speed boat out on a massive lake was just AWE-some.  That’s something I’ve always wanted to do and is also on a list of things that I’d like to own in my future and to do some fishing, etc.  What a buzz that was.  

And in Ketchikan (Alaska) we took a tour off our cruise ship and boarded a float plane.  The float plane business in Alaska and Vancouver is massive and we saw so many of them taking off etc, that we thought, we really should do this.  So in the plane there was room for 7, including the pilot and that’s another incredible experience that’s really hard to describe.  We flew over some great scenery near Ketchikan, mountains, streams and many lakes.  Even landed on a lake and we got to stand out on the float of the plane for a little while, with gigantic mountains rising up all around us.  It was peaceful beyond words.  

In Banff, we also were able to hire a little boat with a small-ish outboard motor and took it out  on a lake and the kids were able to operate that one, which was a big thrill for them.  

Alaska and Canada, over and out.  

Neil

17 Replies 17

Neil_1
Community Member

Dear Shay

I really appreciate your posts and thoughts on this.  Because I've got no idea and any other thoughts are great on the subject.

To be honest, I really don't know - but the hormonal thing could well be one thing (he's 16yo).

It's so difficult because he won't talk to us - you can barely get a word out of him, but put him in front of his computer, where he plays this game with his friends and you can hear laughing and joking and carrying on with them.  So I guess at least he's happy when he's doing that.

Did you know that with the game that he's playing, that they do play it on a world wide basis and they have championships for it each year.  Last year's event had a prize pool of over $20M !!   It's kind of hard to believe ... and teams consist of 5 people and they have to battle another team and it's a last man standing type competition.  Anyway, so that's his number one thing at the moment to try and build his expertise on that.

And I know exactly what you mean about how things are dealt with as children, cause yep, you do remember them as you get older and for a lot of it, it does sure help to shape you AND also you reflect either fondly or not so fondly on how things went.

Neil

gmc
Community Member

Dear Neil,

I don't know if it's useful to you or not, but let me give you the example of two kids I know: one of my friends since childhood, Bianca, and my brother George. Bianca was so difficult to deal with in high school (she's 21 now), that her mother cried all over that she lost her daughter. She was into drinking, parties, smoking, all sort of bad entourage. My parents many times told me that I would ruin my reputation if I talked to her, even tried to forbid me to see her, but I didn't care. I said just wait until she grows a little up, when she would have to leave her friends to do to university, and guess what happened? All of that stopped when I'd said it'd stop. She's fine now, she has a job, she goes to university, she's into projects there and it all goes well.

My brother George was close to not passing the bacalaureat, but he did. He's 19 now. He has all those friends my parents hate and does all the teenager stuff like smoking, drinking, is away from home all day and almost all night, but he's been admitted to a good college and, mostly, like Bianca, he'll be in the same situation, he'll go away from his friends and he will have a sort of normal time for a young man.

I don't know, my examples don't seem to be the best, but there's what I wanna say: their bodies heal very fast, for example, they're very young. The same happenes to their mind, it changes very fast, they're in search of an identity. It's ok, you're a parent, you're worried... But be a little patient 'cause once they have something for sure and they know what to do in life, it all gets easier.

gmc

Stuck14
Community Member
Hey Neil,

I hate to say it, but at his age, I think it's pretty normal to not really talk to your parents. An it must be hurting you so much, but I honestly think it's just an age thing, an like most, it will eventually pass. You have mentioned a few times before about these online games that he's really into, which is fantastic. Is there any chance that it's something you could try to get involved in?? Just a thought an it may open up the dialogue a bit as you would not have common ground am a shared interest, especially with a prize pool like that. 

I think your daughter will have fond memories an that's what she will carry wirh her. I knowy poor brother watched his rabbit die, even made him throw up an he's refused to have any kind of pet ever. What you guys did to celebrate the life of her budgie was incredibly beautiful and important. Your doing a fantastic job!!

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Neil, my friend, while I was reading the posts I was thinking about his hormones, and Shay has mentioned it, which was good of her.

My sons are now in their 30's, and your son is no different to what mine did, they would always go out and come home late, joke and have fun in their bedrooms, and to even talk to them about stopping what ever, was impossible, in one ear and out the other, it's a process that goes on, they know more than I did, or what my wife said, or perhaps they would agree but then do their own thing.

Look after yourself with this damn cold, and I'm sure that antibiotics don't work these days. Geoff.

Neil_1
Community Member

In reverse order:

Dear Geoff:   firstly, went to the Doc yesterday and he said that there are heaps of cases of this flu - he did give me a good check over (almost like a grease and oil change - um almost);  but at the end, he said to keep doing what I'm doing.  The cold and flu tablets, some food when I can and heaps and heaps of water AND rest.  Well the rest part is easy, cause I get tired just moving from room to room.

Dear Shay:   it's funny isn't it, but you're right - in that teenagers do change and don't talk to their parents and such - cause I've heard it so much from people at work.  I just forget about that when it comes to my own.  Selective memory!  😞   And while on our holiday, we actually spent time with our son to ask him about his online gaming - about how it all works, the 5 people in a team, how the other teams go;  where he thinks his team is heading;  how strong they are, etc etc.  We spent around 45 minutes - asking questions and he answered them.  You know, it was really really good.   But then, the next day seemed like that had never happened.

Dear gmc:   and thank you also for you comments as well - and they had a strong message and one that I took in - and again, like Shay mentioned and Geoff;  that it is this period they're going through and after a time (who knows how long, he'll come out the other side).  I guess that's the thing though  (a) I hope he DOES come out the other side and (b) I hope his image/impression of me hasn't been damaged too much during this process.

The other thing I see though is with our daughter.  She is the exact opposite of him (she's 13yo - closing in on 14yo), but she LOVES spending time with us and these are times that I really really cherish.  And to be honest, I can't see her changing to be the 'silent, withdrawn teenager' at all.  If she does, then so be it, but I really can't see her being that way.  She's not really into girly things;  nor boys, nor make-up, etc.  She's just who she is and that is one amazing person.  Oh oh, I have a story to tell about her.  But this post might be too long.  I'll commence it straight after I send this.

Neil_1
Community Member

We spent a number of days in Vancouver (oh and perhaps some of you might need to get tissues out - cause when this happened, I cried (it was tears of emotion and joy and yeah, you'll work out why)

On the streets of Vancouver, we saw so many homeless people.  I can't recall seeing a higher percentage of homeless people on city streets in anywhere I've travelled.

We had dinner one night and my daughter ate probably half her meal and then stopped.  We had a chat and she said she wanted to see if they could arrange it into a take-away container - which the restaurant did.

She then said she wanted to go and find a homeless person and give it to them.  So we grabbed up a takeaway knife and fork also and napkins and we headed out.

We didn't have to go too far and we found this young-ish fellow pushing a shopping trolley - with a massive limp;   he was using an old golf stick to help him move.  We went up to him and asked him if he would like a meal?   He said, "Oh yes please and thank you thank you".   He took it and put it down in his trolley and thanked us again;   I patted him on the back and we told him "you're welcome".

We watched that man for a while - he managed to just cross the street, limping, pushing his trolley.  He went to a garbage bin and found what looked like a McDonald's drink container - which he drank out of and placed it back in the trash and hobbled around the corner.

It was at that stage that I grabbed my daughter, gave her the biggest hug and cried.  Actually I've got tears in my eyes now just remembering that evening.  I said to her that I can't recall ever seeing someone do something so wonderful as what she just did and also said to her that at least he's going to eat well tonight.

Later that night I was thinking - this is ONE story that I'll never forget and that I really wanted to share it with my friends on Beyond Blue.

Stuck14
Community Member
Your daughter is an absolutely remarkable young woman!! She is so kind an has such a beautiful an warm soul. An you know what Neil? She is like that because of how she has been brought up by her parents, an that's you!!! This is yet more proof of what an extrodanary father you are an that your doing and amazing job!!! Such a beautiful an moving thing that she did an I bet that man will never forget it either.

Hi Neil, 

I am avidly reading all of your holiday posts and it spunds like you had one hell of a holiday, even if there were down times. I am envious of the opportunity. The whale watching sounded amazing. 

It also sounds like you have raised one amazing daughter. Being an avid gamer myself, I know somewhat what your son is doing. I could probably narrow it down to three possible games, given your description. Does he see his friends outside of the internet? My stepson played those games and always was on multiplayer. I have always beenabit more of a one or two person player, with exception of the years I sunk into the MMO worlds. Does he go to LAN parties, if he plays with friends from school? 

I am really glad to hear you are back and had a good time. Thank you for commenting on my own thread. Despite crying, I got a huge grin on my face when I saw you were back. 

GA