FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Your positive story... please share

Lind779
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear your stories on how you overcome your anxiety or improved life with anxiety...

I know majority of us don't refer to these online forums when feeling great but if there are some, like myself that stay on here to help support others, please share. 😊

103 Replies 103

Hi Emma,

Wishing you a warm welcome to the forums, and thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your experiences with our friendly community here. We're really sorry to hear that you've been suffereing from severe anxiety, and how much pain this has caused you. Many in our communtiy will also be able to relate to what you've been through, and we hope that you can find some comfort in these safe and non-judgemental forums.

Can we ask if you are currently receiving mental health support? We hope that you always feel welcome to reach out to our kind friends at Kids Help Line, who are a confidential and anonymous, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged 25 and under. They're available 24/7 by phone on 1800 55 1800 as well as through webchat if you'd feel more comfortable talking online: https://kidshelpline.com.au/get-help/webchat-counselling We’d also welcome you to reach out to our Support Service, which is available anytime by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport. Our friends at Lifeline are also available to you 24/7 on 13 11 14 whenever things are feeling overwhelming to cope with.

You might also like to create your own personal thread to expand on your journey, and our community can continue to offer as much support, advice, and conversation as you need through this. We also have an FAQ thread here with tips and advice on how to get started. You're never alone in this Emma.

Wafflecup
Community Member

It has been so incredible to hear everyone’s positive transformations and stories of hope. I’d love to share my own too.

Four years ago I had a traumatic gynocology surgery, then had my first panic attack the next day worried that something went wrong during. Though I didn’t know it was a panic attack, instead I thought it was a heart attack. After months of tests, they determined my heart and breathing was fine, but I later had other health issues and was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis at 24. It was a lot of tough times, severe panic attacks and ER visits.

Fast forward to now, I’m 27 and I’ve been to a lot of therapy, both in person and e-therapy and I still have daily struggles but no where as bad as I had a few years ago. Moodgym, the Feeling Good book and having an amazing therapist and GP has helped me so much. I speak around the country about my journey with MS and anxiety and run my own successful online training business. While some days I do struggle, I know that I can still live a happy and successful life.

I am now focussing on accepting the anxiety, I find it frustrating that I have to deal with this on a daily basis when others don’t have to/it’s a lot of work. If there’s any advice on being accepting of the challenges of GAD anxiety I would really appreciate that.

seanwild
Community Member
Hi Comet, I too have GAD. I am 57 and battled with this hideous illness since I was 15. I have learnt mind fullness techniques and find them of benefit along with meds. As always I was bumbling along with life and I had an experience driving where I could not judge distance and was out of focus, I should not have been driving. My first choice is to increase my meds asap to ensure I do not fall into a hole, which I did. I hate how I feel when going through this transition, I find it so hard to concentrate on work and feel really low. My psychiatrist tells me that simple deep breathing technique he taught me and acceptance (i guess it was a panic attack) of how I felt is the remedy. From your experience is it really that simple ?

Gogetter
Community Member

Hi everybody, some great enlightening stories here. I feel mine pails in comparison. Saying that, I want to share it on the chance it might brighten somebody's day and give them hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I first experienced anxiety and depression in my later high school years. After going to the doctor, I was prescribed an Ssri which helped. Over the next two decades, I went on and off this medication and also used another medication. Both improved my mood but didn't do as much for my anxiety.

Then I discovered my newest medication. I have been taking this now for 12 months and wow, how different is the world. I am acutely aware different drugs work for different people however my point is I'm glad I continued to explore when things weren't working. It did take me until I was 40 to work this out.

On a side note, even with crippling anxiety over the past few decades and changing meds, I have still been able to kick some serious goals. I have been fortunate enough to leave the corporate world and grow a successful business from 5 employees to now 41 employees. I am happily married and have three lovely kids.

This is not a tyre pumping exercise but wanting to give hope to those in a hard spot. I've been there many times and this is what I needed.

Good luck with your individual journeys. There is hope and sunshine on the other side.