FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Wondering if I'm ADHD, or just a little different

sixthpersense
Community Member

Background info: I have generalised anxiety, and I've recently gotten past a very bad depressive episode (yay!) that lasted me a few years, and I've begun to notice all these things I do that I haven't wondered about before, but they are a little odd and do tend to make things a little difficult for me sometimes, and a few co-workers and friends have suggested that it's possible I might have ADHD.

So, I came here to get input before I try to take this to any medical professional, in case I'm simply jumping to conclusions.

I've always found it difficult to do different things, such as managing time for work and (in the past) school-related tasks, and especially focusing on doing absolutely anything, whether for work or pleasure, but for years now I've simply done other things at the same time (such as doodling in school, listening to music, drumming on different surfaces or doing up to five tasks all at once) which has for some reason helped me concentrate.

Lately, however, I've also been experiencing more difficulty with noise and visuals, and I've encountered more than two situations in the past week where I was left overwhelmed and unable to do anything just as a result of people whispering and talking in a hall (where it felt as though I could hear every single conversation at once, instead of a white noise/background noise effect), or too many people crowding me, or one instance where I was trying to read a couple of posters that had bold, black text and brightly coloured images that made me oddly stressed.

I've had these sorts of problems for a while, but lately (and most likely as a result of other stresses) they seem to have gotten worse, and I'm wondering if I have some sort of condition that I might need help with in order to better manage myself and different aspects of life, however, I've had some difficulty in researching things like ADHD as most results come up with symptoms that match a 9 year old boy. 

Is it possible that I may have ADHD/some other condition, and should I try to approach this with a licensed professional? Or is it more likely that this is likely to be my anxiety expressing itself in a different form?

2 Replies 2

Ksalu
Community Member

I'm not sure how to help you but I just want to let you know you're not alone and that I am in a similar boat. I'm personally considering accessing the services of Headspace (for people 12-25). 

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi sixthpersense

So glad you're up and out of such a long depression. Three years is such a long time.

Am currently having my son assessed for possible ADHD and/or high functioning autism, at his request. He's desperate to know why he's always ticked the way he does, especially given the significant struggles he's now facing in Yr12 (focus especially). I initially said to him 'Who you naturally are will present you with challenges. Do you want a label for who you naturally are?'. His response, 'I don't care what people choose to call it (ADHD or autism), all I care about is finding greater self understanding and helpful guidelines and strategies in order to manage myself and life'. Perfectly logical.

Abilities that can feel more like curses

• The ability to hear things super clearly can come with the challenge of being sensitive to sound and even inner dialogue, things that require management
  • The ability to channel an impressive amount of energy can come with having to manage that energy - how to channel it out into something, calm it down, sit with it etc
  • The ability to feel deeply and easily can come with having to manage the nervous system and emotions. 'What kind of energy in motion (emotion) is this one I'm feeling?'. Hyperactivity has a definite feel
  • The ability to multitask like a legend can come with not being able to focus on one thing at a time
  • The ability to wonder can become addictive and can interfere with focus
  • The abilities that come with a brilliant imagination can also be addictive, making it hard to come out or stay out of the imagination at times. Something to master

The body/mind/soul take can come down to how to manage the physical/chemical behaviour of the brain and body, how to manage mental challenges that come with inner dialogue, belief systems etc and the soulful aspect may be about recognising what can be a natural or 6th sense ability for some. My son finds it incredibly easy to see natural solutions for people. Stuff just comes to him from out of the blue. He simply says what he sees. He's a stunning seer, problem solver and guide. Problem is he struggles at times to stay out of what's basically 'home to imagery'.