FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anti-depressant withdrawal

Scutrona26
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this - I was only taking a certain medication for one month, then upped the dose another month, before deciding I really didn't want to be on medication because of the numbness. I reduced it to  again for 2 weeks, and then again every second day for 2 weeks. 

I then found I needed to take half every third day, then fourth day, and now, still, almost 3 months later, the withdrawal symptoms appear if I haven't had a dose in 5 days or more. I'm just so surprised to be experiencing this after only having been on them for 2 months!

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks, 

3 Replies 3

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Scutrona26~

Welcome to the Forum. It was a good move on your part, if you look around I'm sure you will find many others who have had all sorts of symptoms when ceasing medications. You are not alone in that.

I'd have to say straight away different medications affect different people in different ways -everyone is different. I, for example, under medical supervision have tailed off one drug to start another many times, and only on one occasion did my withdrawal symptoms not go away, but became such a problem my psychiatrist actually put me back on the drug for a short while and tried to tail me off again - this time it worked fine.

So, if you have not done so already, please go see your doctor/prescriber and explain the problem. Also if you have been doing these alterations on your own I'd strongly suggest from now on you only alter medications up or down under close medical supervision having discussed in advance likely effects and possible danger signals.

Please let us know how you get on

Croix

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Scutrona26

I spoke to my psychiatrist about ceasing the medication I had been using for a few years, & we had discussed why I wanted to stop, the possible adverse effects I might expect & how to reduce the dosage very slowly & to report any odd feelings physical &/or emotional, & if I experienced any unusual thoughts as well, at appointments I had with him.

& there were some odd feelings, psychological & physical. Nothing very unusal or severe. I understood why these feelings wre happening & could cope with them better for being able to recognise these feelings were among the things we'd spoken about.

They did fade away after a month, maybe, I'm not sure anymore.

As Croix has said, if you haven't already, please at least talk to a GP about what you are doing & how you are feeling.

Hugzies

mmMekitty

JulieS101
Community Member

Hey, I am going through something similar but I was on anti-deps for 5 years so a bit different. I would recommend asking your GP about this as two months is not long at all. Hope you are feeling better 🙂