FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Terrible panic attack/anxiety

Kengy
Community Member
I've been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks the last three days. I'm nauseous, my arms are burning, and my heart is racing. How do you cope? I feel like I'm going mad. It just doesn't seem to stop. Please help me.
3 Replies 3

BKYTH
Community Member
See your GP as soon as possible. That is the place to begin. You don't cope with it whatever that means you seek professional help and treatment. You are not going mad. If you have been only experiencing this for three days then recent events in your life need to be explored.                                                                                                                 It is likely, unless something traumatic has occurred recently to bring this anxiety on, that you may have been experiencing anxiety for some time but have been able to deal with it. Again see your GP as soon as possible.            Philip.

Kengy
Community Member

Thank you for your response. I went to my GP yesterday, and he increased my antidepressant, and gave me some calming meds. 

I was supposed to go to Europe on Monday for a month long trip by myself, so I suspect this is where the anxiety has come from. I've also had issues at work lately that have stressed my out. 

My family are being incredibly supportive. Last night, I broke down in absolute tears, and my mum ended up sleeping in bed with me. I feel like such a failure for allowing this to get the better of me, and for missing my trip. I've got an appointment booked for a psychologist in two weeks, I hope that also helps.

BKYTH
Community Member
Experiencing stress and anxiety are normal in life and people generally are able to address it themselves as it occurs in their experience. If you feel that there may be a connection between your proposed trip overseas and some work issues which has been the cause of your anxiety and panic attacks then that may be helpful in assisting you gain some insight into the thoughts that you were having which initiated or fed that anxiety.                  What was it about the trip that made you anxious? It would be useful to examine that and write down whatever you can determine - What were you thinking about the experience? For many people such a trip would be exciting and something they would look forward to. Are you afraid of flying? Was the period of separation from your family of concern to you? The more that you can establish about the nature of your anxiety the more able you will be in learning how to deal with it.                                                                                                     Hopefully the increase in the antidepressant will help in the long term and the calming medication in the short term but they may not offer on their own all that is necessary. Sometimes we are confronted with situations we cannot change and acceptance of that can be a valuable ally throughout life.                                                                 You have not failed in anything nor are you a failure that is just you judging yourself. They are simply thoughts, and as such, have nothing to do with the decision you made not to go overseas. You are allowed to feel anxious and to alter your plans if that anxiety gets overwhelming. To do that is not to fail but to make a decision.                 In the next two weeks examine what thoughts you are having. Give your anxiety a voice because it has one and it is your voice and whatever it says is not right or wrong. Don't judge it but let it tell you about yourself and take notes. Write things down so that when you see the Psychologist you may be able to provide him/her with insights which you have gained that can enable the person to assist you most effectively.                                                          Philip.