FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hangover anxiety

Ambibella
Community Member

HI there

im a mum of 3 and married very happily. I have a lot of things going on like most mums, run 2 businesses, always helping my family with their problems and my husbands family and look after my kids one of which is only 6 months old a two year old and a 7 year old.  I love them all to death but I suffer from extreme anxiety. I have really bad health anxiety worrying constantly that I'm going to have cancer or something terrible or that the kids are sick. I have social anxiety as well and always think people are thinking badly of me. I never do anything for myself and then when I do get a second out with my friends I tend to drink to much and all the pent up stress comes burbling out and then I have major guilt that I've said or done the wrong thing. I just go over and over the night in my head I feel like a terrible mother and wife and just basically punish myself for ever. I just don't no how to deal with it. 

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Ambibella, welcome

This is a good case for some therapy- why? because you are showing symptoms I had 28 years ago. I had severe anxiety and panic attacks at work. So bad they initially thought I had a heart attack. Thankfully not.

I was given medication and had an occupational therapist for 12 months. He taught me a few things that were life changing. Initially I wasn't ken, thought it was all a waste of time...it wasn't.

He taught me to question myself if I was being realistic. Our imagination through worry can send our minds all over the place. eg Asking yourself if you are a good mum when clearly you are then ask yourself if your thoughts are in your head or real.  Then he taught me relaxation techniques that I still do to this day even though my anxiety has gone away. Muscle tensioning exercises is the best most effective way to learn to relax. Google it or attend a relaxation class to learn them. You can do it prior to sleeping and you'll sleep better (crutial for recovery).

Be prepared for a long haul. It isn't an easy fix. Attend your GP and ...you don't need to drink alcohol or much of it to enjoy life.

Tony WK

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Ambibella, welcome - if you'd like to reach out to other members on this topic, we have a few similar threads below:

Anxiety after night out drinking?

Drinking anxiety

Anxiety and alcohol equals despair

Anxiety, depression and alcohol